Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Why is "what does the fox say" a common expression in English?

Why is fox the animal to be used in this expression? Why not dogs or cats or giraffes?

• Andrea

As far as I know, it's not a common saying/expression. I never hear it said. Its origin though comes from a music video that became popular/viral back in 2013 by an artist called Ylvis.

It's nowhere near a 'common' expression. 

• Vivian

"The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)" is an electronic dance novelty song and viral video by Norwegian comedy duo Ylvis. The top trending video of 2013 on YouTube, "The Fox" was posted on the video-sharing website on 3 September 2013, and has received over 900 million views as of December 2019.

It is not exactly common. It's only a very recent addition to the language. The electronic dance song 'The Fox' by a Norwegian comedy act called Ylvis went viral in 2013 and a children's book soon came out and was a smash success.

Had they called it 'The Dog' and had it been the same success, then it would be 'what does the dog say'.

• Kate

I am 70, raised in the English language and have nver heard the expression before.

Examine your statement first. You say that "What does the fox say?" is a common expression in English, and ask why.

Well, like other native English speakers here, I have never heard it in my life (70+).

Please, before asking 'Why?', first establish whether it's actually true at all. As it ISN'T a common expression in English, your question fails.

I've been speaking and reading English--and reading a lot of it--for over 60 years and have never heard or seen that expression.

It is because everyone knows the conventional sounds cats dogs cows horses etc make but they don't know what the fox says  (which is a sound that is difficult to describe - more like a crying baby). Foxes do tend to be more common that giraffes in my part of the world but this is not really a common expression, more of a cultural reference amongst those who know the song.

• drip

In the USA, I have never heard it used.

• Greg2 months agoReport

Me either lol

It just comes from a silly song... Can't say I've heard of it becoming a "common expression," though.