Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Dad is supportive of my art career but he doesnt respect any of the people that actually produce these types of films?

So he will always say any form of fantasy fiction or animation on tv is garbage and always make some kind of remark about what I'm watching. He really doesnt respect it at all.He won't even watch it for two minutes but my art is exactly that, fantasy, sciencefiction, animation etc.

So how can this person be supportive of what I do if he doesn't respect the people that are successful in this field?Is he like a complete idiot that he can't realise thats the type of stuff I'll be involved in oneday?

So is it only good if I make it?

Everytime he makes these kinds of comments it feels like he's saying the whole career I want to persue is worthless but then he still wants to see my art the next day and tells me how good it is.

Is this just a old person thing?

just tell him you dont want to hear those comments anymore

Actually he can respect the people who are successful but he may not respect the people who think this is entertainment. We have an almost former son in law who is heavily involved in cartoons and is successful at his career, but I would never watch anything but his work.

I was never interested in sci fi films, either, but if one of my kids were doing what you're doing? I'd be very supportive of them and their career choice. Just because i'm not that into it, it doesn't mean my kids aren't. I respect the choices of others.

And i wish you all the best with your film art. There are many people out there who just love those films! One of my good friends enjoys them. Keep doing what you're doing!

He blindly supports you because you are his daughter, this is what parents do. 

How is your career progressing? If you are making money from it why do you care what people think.

This is a parent thing. I will give you an example. My mother could not possibly enjoy Heavy metal music less than she does. When i was playing and singing in bands, they were all heavy metal. My mom never missed a show. She would come tap her foot, have a beer whatever and supported me one hundred percent all the way every single time. If i threw on a song by someone else she would say something like "oh god that screaming is horrible and i just don't understand why they are so angry" the love you have for your child paints everything they do with rose colored glasses. 

So what he is saying is, basically, I hate that fantasy sci fi crap. unless you made it, because i love you and i want you to be successful and live your dreams. 

This is a good thing, and it sounds like you actually have a pretty damn good dad.