Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

What do Americans think about their government spreading democracy?

I live in Lebanon I just want to know the way American people think about the concept of spreading western democracy in the world .

Update:

Edit this question was not to criticize the United States I have a lot of respect for America and its history and it’s love for Democratic way of life. Question was just to see how the citizens felt about the idea, do they take the Tulsi Gabbard stance or Hillary Clinton. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

A lot of us don't see it that way.  Since WWII we've had our fingers in many governments around the world.  We've fought wars, we've sponsored and led revolutions, we've stolen elections overseas.  Presidents of both our parties have referred to this naked imperialism as 'spreading democracy' or 'making the world safe for democracy'.  But you would have a hard time pointing to a single new democracy we've  helped create--because there isn't a single one!

Democracy is messy and chaotic, and we don't always get the results WE want.  So we pick leaders for other nations and simply -install- them, and we CALL it democracy.  We've supported some of the most corrupt and brutal leaders and pretended they were the choice of the people.  Afghanistan and Iraq are good examples.  We held fake elections in which only candidates approved by the US could stand for office, and only voters approved by the US could vote.  We made it clear from the start which candidates we preferred, and in every case we got just what we wanted.  Those leaders weren't considered legitimate by their own people and their governments weren't functional.

We've spent trillions of dollars--Iraq alone was 2-3 trillion--in fact the military is our biggest budget item. We've used our military >100 times since WWII, not once in a legitimately declared war, not once to defend our own shores.  We have no social safety net.  We have rampant poverty and hopelessness in the richest nation in the world.  The largest class of 'hard-core unemployed'.  We have levels of illiteracy, infant mortality, addiction, violence, etc. etc. befitting a third-world nation.

That's what a lot of us think.  We've interfered with real democracy all around the globe, and now we're losing it at home.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The US is the biggest terrorist country in the world. That is honestly what I think. The US actually invites terror attacks in the US by what they are doing all over the world. The US is all offense under Trump with no defence.

• 2 months ago

It's a good idea in concept.

• 2 months ago

Spreading democracy is best done with a heavy dose of smartbombs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The United States is known for spreading Liberty to the rest of the World if that's what you mean.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well, I've read about your country and it's wrecked, indebted.. America wouldn't "spread democracy" if we weren't attacked first. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.