Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Why doesn't the Victorian Parliament just use their legislative power to punish Cardinal George Pell?

They could pass a bill of attainder against him. They could declare him guilty and put him in prison based on the vote in parliament and bypassing the judicial system.

Update:

To Clive: It doesn't require any qualification. There just needs to be no pesky constitution preventing it. The Australian Constitution only forbids the Federal Parliament from passing such laws, not the states. Bills of attainder were used in English law from 1321 to 1798. Archbishop William Laud was executed under a bill of attainder, so there is precedent.

Victorians all KNOW he's guilty, because:

a) victims should be believed, and

b) he's a Roman Catholic priest, and that's what priests do.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

--  I am not a lawyer and therefore cannot say if that is possible.

--  I am certainly disappointed  with the Australian High Court decision, but they have ruled on a matter of law.

--  I believe that Cardinal George Pell will be facing a number of Civil Suits against him in the near future.

• mrh-slos
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You, and the asker just seem virulently anti Catholic.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That is what courts are for. The parliament is not qualified.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Cardinal Pell has been completely exonerated. He is totally innocent and I hope that he is quickly readmitted to the College of Cardinals. 

• 2 months ago

And who'd support such a Fascist move except psychotic haters like yourself. What is it with hate-filled cowards and their love of being controlled by the government

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.