Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Would using an VPN prevent people from finding out my real ip address?

So I got some mad online when I said on an online forum that I'm not going to follow the stay at home order issued by the governor and just continue to go out and about. I was mad and so that was a rant. I posted that post while using an VPN and i have the VPN set to appear that I'm in canada when I'm in the US. People told me that they are calling the cops on me and that the cops will trace the ip address and then come to my house and arrest me for saying that I won't follow the executive order. Would they really come to my house and arrest me for that ? Would using an VPN prevent the cops or people from finding out my real ip address ?

No. The VPN provider knows your IP address. Good VPN providers do not keep that information around. NO free one deletes that information.

• Jacob2 months agoReport

I'm using an paid VPN, norton secure VPN

Prevent? No, but it will certainly make it harder. At that point you must’ve done something real bad for them to go through the trouble of trying to unmask your real IP address. 

Repeated chat reported.