Why should students take classes outside of their major?

I think it is a waste time; doesn't economy want us working already? With general education classes , I think it is stupid.  I am psychology major that I have to take a class at the end I threw the information I learned out of the basket and in to my trashcan. What do you guys think of classes outside of your major in college and university?

• ?

The idea of general education courses is to turn out educated people. College is not a vocational school. Taking a little science, for example, might help you evaluate in the future who is giving you good information that will help you survive a pandemic, and who is shooting of his big fat mouth to put the blame on everyone else. You'll know what politicians are talking about when they debate stem cell research, or the pros and cons of single payer healthcare, or when movies make allusions to literature or history. You'll have better communication skills from your English classes- which employers really value these days. 

Yes. I’m a senior nursing major and classes I’ve taken include dance, theater, government, creative writing, communication, philosophy, and consumer behavior. Total waste of my life. Even many of the nursing or science classes I had were pointless.

• ?

No, the economy can do without a bunch of half educated psychology majors.

Even fully educated psychology majors are not exactly in demand.

maybe theyre not sure of what they want to take up

• MS

Having a general knowledge base is never a bad thing, and interdisciplinary knowledge and thought is valuable in any field. 

• Zirp

Humans are not machines. Humans work better when they do different things outside of the job. It keeps them healthy.