I need help figuring out what could be wrong with my 2005 ford focus se? ?

Please before you read take the time out and read fully for me please thank you.

Hi I have recently been having some issues with my 2005 ford focus se and also recently the check engine

light has came on. I took it to autozone to get the code scanned and it came back with a fuel line issue as in something was causing the fuel line to not get enough fuel. He said it could either be the fuel pump or fuel line. When I step on the gas a little it starts to putt and does not go at the capacity as it used to. When I stepped on the gas it would get up now it kinda takes some time. I put oil in it which I believed it needed because the oil after taking the cap off was smoking so I also bought some 5W 20 which helped a little bit but I dont think its wise to mix oil when I just bought the car not even knowing what oil was prior in the car. Can some one please help me? Also someone said if I need to replace the fuel pump they might have to drop the gas tank, how much would that be? Someone please help me, I have a good car and try to take good care of it and am very ignorant with cars. Thank you.

A common and inexpensive maintenance item is to replace the fuel filter.You have somewhat described the symptoms of a partially clogged one.

Take your car to a competent mechanic.  The Autozone guys are probably talking about a bad fuel pump control module, not a bad fuel line or a bad fuel pump because there are NO trouble codes for them.  And try to get the exact trouble codes next time

So long as there is oil in the engine, any oil, don't worry about that. This sounds like the catalytic converter is getting plugged up. Typical issue on city driven cars that never get on the Interstate once or twice a month to burn off excess buildup inside the cat converter. Best way to check this it to remove one of the O2 sensors between the engine and the catalytic converter. Start the engine and if it runs just fine, no loss of power when you hit the gas, then you know that the catalytic converter is creating too much back pressure on the engine with the O2 sensor in place. Might have to replace the cat converter if this is the case.

• Ron

Oil is fine. Post the actual code number

Tell us the trouble code, or look up it's definition. Lookit: https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

• Jake

try checking the spar plugs

• Scott

If you don't have the skills, take it to a mechanic. Don't let parts clerks diagnose your car troubles. Pay someone who knows how an engine actually works.

Sorry kiddo, but not knowing about the oil is an Epic Fail. Almost running it out of oil is a quick way to ruin the engine and cost thousands in repairs. You certainly haven't done it any good. 

.

Now, about the engine code. Those cheap scanners used by Auto Zone only say which systems aren't working right, not exactly what's wrong, and their employees are sometimes wrong and jump to false conclusions. It requires much better diagnostic tools that a decent repair shop uses to determine exactly what's wrong.

Spend the money and take it to a shop for a proper diagnosis. For one thing they will need to check is the the fuel pressure because it might just be a bad fuel pressure regulator which is a cheap fix. If the car is hard to start, but seems to run better once it is started, a bad fp regulator is one of the most common problems. If you don't have $100 to $150 to spend on a proper diagnosis then you shouldn't have bought a car in the first place.

If you get this one running right, I recommend that you sell it as fast as possible and look for something that hasn't been abused by the owner almost running out of oil. 

Hey dude...fuel lines and fuel pumps are not monitored by the OBD II system so you've been told a bunch of BS bu a sales person. Go find a mechanic before you waste a bunch of money.

Before you talk yourself into replacing the fuel pump have a mechanic check the fuel pressure!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech