Should I return to education?

To cut a long story short, I work in a microbio lab as lab tech, without the necessary qualifications, but have been trained and taught everything I need to know whilst there. 

I love learning, I love science, particularly biology and medical sciences (through my own experiences of having a congenital disease too. Numerous hospital visits, tests, scans, consultations, etc. Silver lining; it sparked an interest). I love what I do in work and everything I learn and so I'm confident that this is the right area for me to be in. However, as much as I love my job, I want to go further. I want to learn more, study more, challenge myself more, get the necessary qualifications to delve further in the field of bacteriology or medical research. I've been going back and forward over the past few years over the idea of going back to college, getting my level 3, and being able to progress onto university and working my *** off to better myself. 

However, this would mean not graduating til I'm almost 30 (fair enough, that's still young), not being able to move out of my family home until then, always being a bit skint, student debt. I'd work all the hours I could to make sure I can still pay rent, my car, phone, night out every now and then, etc. I'm just wondering will it be worth it? Should I take the chance? Will I come out of those years glad I've spent those last 6/7 years studying? I know you regret the things you DON'T do, I'm just nervous as it's a big step to take! 

• John

I'm a mid-life career change person.  I went back to college in my early 30s to study accounting.  I knew it would take a few years (I already had a degree in a different field), but those years would pass whether I returned to college or not.  Regarding your situation, even though you are competent in your current position you will probably advance no further without a degree.  

I doubt you would regret it because after earning a degree you will feel differently about yourself and your credentials will be there--solid. I returned to school at age 38 with a certification in lab science (no degree), and started studying computer science, but eventually switched to psychology and now hold a doctorate. I do not regret the student loan I have (even at my age) or the initials I get to put after my name.

i would if you wanted to

If you want it, you have to go for it. The longer you delay, the harder it will be. And the more likely you will live with regrets for the next 50, 60, 70 years.

What would you do in a lab, jerk off into equipment and conduct experiments with your sperm?

i would if thats what you want to do