I have an aspiration for wanting to write stories, what do I do?

My goal is to go to school for English and write books and possibly write movies plotlines as well. But I live in southern maine away from the places that would enjoy that sort of thing and I dont think any university here has a creative writing bachelors degree. What are my options here?

If you are not even trying to write at this point you are not ready to move forward on this.

• ?

If you aspired to become an astronaut, I suppose you'd have to give up on that dream because there are no astronaut training programs where you live. Last I checked, having a BA in English Literature or Creative Writing wasn't a requirement for writing a story. I had stacks of spiral notebooks filled with stories when I was ten years old, so I don't see why you can't start now and worry about a degree later. And if you should discover when the time comes that there are no programs suited to you in your area, you could do what people have been doing since before the dawn of recorded history - move someplace else. If this question is representative of your English skills, it's clear that you are nowhere near ready to begin working on original material anyway. If you can't pass 7th grade English, it makes little sense to start worrying about what you're going to do if you manage to graduate from high school. You posted this in Books & Authors, so as a reader and a writer, that's my advice. If it's not what you're looking for, feel free to post this in the Travel section and see what other people from southern Maine have to say about it. I'm fairly confident that they'd tell you to relocate as well.  

Wow. I was CONVINCED English was not your first language when I started reading. It's not mine, yet it's clear even to me that your language skills are very poor. To be honest, you need to go back to the basics before you attempt one of the hardest things you can do (writing quality novels or screenplays). Start there. Although, to be even more honest, I don't think writing is your thing to begin with. I'm not saying this to discourage you but to keep you from wasting your time.

Here's another hard pill to swallow: It's going to take you about 20 years to master English, then master writing literature, then also screenwriting if that's what you want, then writing several quality pieces that agents and managers might be interested in. After all of that, the chances you will get signed by an agent are very slim. It will probably take a few more years. After that, IF you get signed, there's no guarantee you'll ever get published. And if you're getting into screenwriting, the chances of ANYONE to sell a single screenplay and get it produced are similar to the chances of winning the lottery... and IF that happens, a few more years will go by. So are you willing to work your *** off for the next 20-?? years, even if your chances are that slim? Do you even have what it takes? Because no degree in the world can get you there. At the end of the day it's up to you. You're on your own. You can take creative writing classes or get a degree. But it's far from enough, especially in your case.Ask yourself why you suddenly want to do this. Is it because it's a trend? Because you watch movies and TV shows and read popular books and think it's going to be fun? Writing is difficult. You write because you love to write. Because you have a passion for IT. I'm going to take a stab and say you're very young. A kid or a teen. So many your age have that fantasy of writing something magical, getting published and becoming the next J. K. Rowling, getting produced... But then they start writing... and they realize it's not that easy. Not that fun. It's a lot of hard work and headaches. At first they make up excuses like writer's block or they ask for ideas for plots and name characters on YA. Eventually, they just give up. Are you going to be one of those people? Seriously, don't waste your time.

Feel free to major in English or writing or even theater -- learning about plays will help you learn how to write plays and scripts.

Sign up for a streaming service called MasterClass.  Watch the classes by various authors, directors, and screen writers.  

Write. Write. Research and Write.  To become a writer you have to write.  Yes, there are rules and tools for being a published author, but you can only learn how to apply (or break those rules) by writing.  One thing good writers do is exhaustive research on the subjects of their stories.  

Read, read, read.  Read plays and scripts, and novels and no-fiction.  Pay attention to how different writers evoke emotions and paint a picture of what your are seeing, how they build tension, where they make promises to the reading and when they fulfill them. 

Accept that if you want to be a writer, you'll probably have to leave the Maine woods to get a degree and a job.  While there are a few book authors who manage to live wherever they want, most writers and particularly screen/script writers get their first jobs by getting a degree in film/script writing and then getting a job as a junior writer on a TV show.  

• kswck2

JUst exxpect your first 3 or 10 books/screenplays, etc. to get rejected.

Well, as you live in southern "maine" and it's "away from the places that would enjoy that sort of thing" you're just going to have to do without, aren't you? Perhaps you should consider a future in areas that don't involve writing, as you seem to be not very good at it. Hope this helped.

You won't gain much from earning a degree in creative writing. You may become a better writer than you are now, but still be unable to produce a story, novel, or script anyone would buy.

So I strongly urge you away from that. Instead, focus on two things in your education. One, get fully fluent in English. (You aren't there yet.) Two, study something that will earn you a decent living that you won't hate.

Most writers, including many published writers, work day jobs and write in their spare time.