Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 2 months ago

Would Hispanics/Latinos be treated the same as Black people in China ?

I’ve always heard of the racism in China towards Black people. If someone

from Latin America traveled to China would they go through the same racism and discrimination as African people. Let’s say an indigenous person from Guatemala went to China. Would that person be treated badly just for being brown skinned 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 days ago

No, unless you are or have black African features then you will be seen as white, unless you are obviously more Ameridian than European then they might think you are from another Asian country.

Chinese people themselves range from milky white to very dark but they all see themselves as the same race - so you can be an Arab or even mixed race and be seen as 'white'. it is a very broad definition to Chinese people.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Hispanica and Latinos would never want to go to China, anyhow, especially now when China is a locked up containment vault for histories greatest most devastating plague. Not much chance in any near future of any travel there, either.

• Carlos H4 days agoReport

I am here now, its great.

• 1 month ago

No ,you are wrong, don't just  occasionally   pick up something on the street  as a truth,come here and see the real. yes, some blacks are not treated as kings  in china ,but their lives are ok.

• Dj2541
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its really  very  simple, The  Chinese in China  hate  everyone!!!!

• yckooh1 month agoReport

As a Chinese, saying proudly, you're wrong.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I know several African Americans who have lived in China very happily and been treated very well. There is a class issue as well as a race issue. African Americans are seen as more affluent than African Africans. I know that's not right- I'm just telling you how it is. In many places, African Americans are seen as American first. It's the fear of some poor group coming in and disrupting things that fuels some of the problems you've heard about. So the same is true of Hispanics. They actually have very little experience with Hispanics in China. They have no fear of you coming in and taking jobs. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

India is far worse than China.

India and North Africa are worse than China when it comes to black people treated badly, in India a lot of Africans get attacked and even killed by locals. Indians have that mentality of seeing blacks as “lower class” or “inferior”. 

In North Africa (Libya) blacks are sold as slaves and get tortured and police and government don’t do anything. You don’t see Chinese attacking or torturing black people, it’s just ignorant xenophobic attitude some Chinese people have. Even the Chinese miners in Africa aren’t that bad. Sure, they are buying up their resources but at least they give them jobs.

I think latinos would do fine in China

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Here’s the problem with East Asians.

They hate everybody else. But when White Americans or Europeans come to China they welcomed them with open arms.

If a Guatemalan went to China they’d probably assume he’s Cambodia or Filipino, and Chinese are known to treat their neighbors like s*hit 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I doubt that you will get treated as bad as some Black Africans report to be treated. However, if you’re a fair skinned Hispanic then this will increase your likelihood of being tested well. The same goes for blacks, lighter skinned blacks tend to get treated better than darker skinned ones on average.

Ultimately, everybody is different. Some Chinese ppl might treat foreigners as a unique novelty while others may be xenophobic and wish you were gone. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.