Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 2 months ago

Student loan?

I'm from england and currently live in Austria. I'll be going to university in 2 years. I want to prepare and know what I'm doing. Education is free here but I want to go to uni in england. England feels like more of a home to me so I feel more comfortable there. In england the education is not free though. I'll be happier there but is taking out a loan worth it.

I want to use them 3 years to earn money which I could put towards the loan

If your plan is to work in the UK then it makes sense to attend university there as the milk round and access to internships are your most important employment tools.  But you do not have to.  Education in Austria is excellent. 

Is this worth it?  So much depends on two unknowns.  One is whether you will be able to earn enough to make spending the money worthwhile.  For non academic degree subjects like Business or Media it would be pointless to go into debt as you will never be able to dig out.  But some degrees are a pathway into very highly paid work.

The other is whether you will be eligible for home fees/the loan.  Right now you are ok because you live in the EU but after the 2020/21 academic year being EU may no longer be relevant.  Until now the rule has been that you need to be UK or EU resident for the three years prior to your start date.  If EU students are no longer subsidised by the Great British taxpayer, you may be out of luck. 

Since you & your parents have not resided in England for at least 3 years prior to university, you won't be eligible for most student aid or subsidized tuition. Getting student loans could be a big problem, too. What are your parents doing about saving up for your university education costs?

for a pleasure of 4 to 6 years is

taking on a burden for 10 or more years worth it?

You might want to review nearer the time - when the UK leaves the EU, it's possible as a non-UK resident (citizenship is irrelevant) you'll be charged the higher international fees, rather than the home fees you'd be subject to now; this being the case, you may also require a visa, and proof you can afford it to come and study. (Yep, Brexit is no fun)

Whether it's worth it depends on the debt, and what you get out of it.

• Tavy

Will your UK degree be useful in Austria? This is what you need to look at.

Most students here come out with a debt of 37K, 

Can you save enough?

UK.

• Tavy

Then take a degree that will lead to a job, not vanity degrees. Look at what employers want here.

I meant 2 years in my update