What is the roman number for the Ab7 in this example. ?

I'm analyzing a group of chords. Key of FM. They are as follow...F7, E-7, B7, Bb7, Ab7, G+7 or I, vii°, V/vii°, IV, X?, G+7. What is Ab7?

I àlso think this might be an Amin piece, because there is no key signature, BUT it ends on an FM7 chord.

If you're in the key of FM, that chord would be written Ab7 because it could be a borrowed chord. A is the III of FM. You wrote it Ab7 which is a major chord. Ab is also the minor 3rd of FM. In order for it be a minor chord you would spell it Ab Cb Eb. There is no roman numeral for that chord in FM. In Fm it would be the iii chord.

• Mamianka

But as Ab7, it is V/bVI     V of Db.  Wish I could see if hear this - all OOP. Hope OP can scan/post a copy.

I am a theory teacher.  What you have written is unclear. I assume this is NOT a progression (yikes . . ) but just a list of chords, that you must justify in f minor. In very general terms, an Ab major chord would be a  form of the III chord in f - but the Ab7 would imply a dominant seventh of Db - which is the VI chord in f. 

• Linda1 month agoReport

Thanks for all your help. Can't figure out how to scan/send, etc. I'm going to move on. So appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm going to chalk this up to a passing chord and call it a day🤣.