A asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 month ago

Why does my Kindle lose battery life when it's switched off?

Why does my Kindle e-reader lose battery life even when I switch it off? Recently, I had about 60% battery life but switched it off and didn't use it for around a week. Upon firing it up, the battery had drained completely. 

Although it's 5 years old, it still works well. 

Par for the course. Batteries discharge normally even if not in use, older batteries discharge quicker.  Yours was about at the end of its life and has now turned its toes up.

• Dick

At 5 years old you should be looking at buying a new battery for it. Just how long do you think a battery last with the many boot ups and shut downs you put it through.

it's 5 years old. batteries do not last forever and yours is about done

• Marduk

Was the display off or the power off.  Just because the display it off doesn't mean it is powered off.  Anyway, laptops that are powered off lose battery life too, somehow. 

• A1 month agoReport

It was actually powered off. 

• Jamey

It obviously doesn't work well because the battery is past its life and should be replaced. 5 years is well old for a battery.

• A1 month agoReport

Well it works fine for its purpose - i.e. reading e-books. But otherwise, I guess the battery is moribund.