I'm actually thinking about moving on to University?

Like legitimately thinking about it. I'm in community college right now and the thing that keeps me coming back to finish my liberal studies degree is the promise of graduating. I'm doing good in my classes. Two As, plenty of B's and like three Cs so far. One D but I'm gonna be retaking the course and getting it to a C or better. I've picked out a University, the University of Maine at Farmington has not only the creative writing major I want but a good sounding community aspect that I deeply appreciate in my growing years of appreciation for the emotional aspect of our development as people. My question is though about my family, I'm not sure how I feel about just abandoning them for 5 months continuously just to attend university. At the same time though, I do not want to pass up this opportunity to get better skills and new experiences that I need in my life.

• Lili

Most people leave their families to attend college. It's the normal thing to do, and no one thinks of it as "abandonment".  You are SUPPOSED to grow up and leave home. College is a waystation on the road to leaving for good.

So, don't view this as "abandoning" your family.  View it as maturing and preparing for real life and a career as you are expected to do.

That said, while I encourage you to take as many creative writing courses as you can, if this is a field that really matters to you, think seriously about majoring in something more practical. What about an English major with the education courses that you would need to teach English on the secondary school level?  You're going to have to make a living. I've known a number of professional writers, and none majored in "creative writing," though some later did graduate degrees in the subject. They all held down jobs in fields like teaching, advertising, public relations before they sold their first novels.

Good luck.