Cool programming language ?

Hi all

Is COBOL language still in use as a programming language ?

Thanks

elico

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No language truly dies but some languages get less new projects to use them as time goes on.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Snezzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They needed Cobol programmers for the Y2K crisis. The next crisis will be the Y10K crisis. Forget the 2038 crisis, because nobody uses Cobol on Unix boxes. Or do they?

So get ready for Y10K, learn Cobol now!

It's my slightly firm belief that the big problem with ancient Cobol (and other ancient software) is not the language when used according to the specifications, but instead the workarounds that were put in, decades ago, to get around deficiencies in the original language. 

I used to work for a shop where engineers were writing code in Fortran IV, and always had trouble when including alphabetic variables in their programs. Why? Because the only place they could put the alphabetic info was in Fortran "REAL" numbers (integers couldn't cut it, for some reason I don't remember) and the floating-point hardware would "normalize" REAL variables. That's shifting the significant bits and adjusting the exponent. Oops! I had to add a hack to the Fortran compiler to make it possible to prevent normalization. That system is thankfully long since gone.

• 2 months ago

Yes...

It lends itself to object-oriented programming without some of the foibles that crop up in C++ and modern languages. 

So, although it can be used, especially with data bases in applications that require highly readable output, it's regarded as a bit clumsy. Especially with some of the libraries that are now around -- most of the good stuff is already coded, if you know how to call it up.

• 2 months ago

Cobol is only used today to do maintenance on legacy software decades old.  You couldn't make a career out of it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tasm
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yeah, I saw jobs are them. They pay well too because not many people know the language.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There is still a lot of ancient COBOL running on ancient government computers. Doubt there is any new development with it, but lots of old code to maintain. 

• Senlis
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Yep.  When unemployment applications from COVID-19 hit an all time high, the government had to hire programmers in to update their processing system as it was designed in COBOL and couldn't handle the volume.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.