Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

Do uncles and aunts have the authority to order their nephews/neices?

I had relatives at home one night.

I was playing on my xbox in the night while all the others had fallen asleep.

So one aunt entered my entered my room and told to switch it off in a stern authoritive manner.

I really didn't like her gesture.Now you might say that she did so because i was making noise but that's not the case.She just did it because video games are bad in her eyes and she wanted to assert her authority over me.

My parents were fine with me playing that night but my aunt says that i'm allowed to play only when EVERYONE is okay with it.So i can choose to switch it off or she will punish me or have me punished.

In my opinion only parents have the right to TELL their kids to do or not to do something.Uncles and aunts can only request or ask.I don't regard them as authority figures like parents or teachers.

i dont think so but they think they do

You should have just said, "my parents are okay with this so you should talk to them about it". No point in trying to pick a fight with an adult when you're a child.

I will give you my .02 cents here

Aunts/Uncles generally don't have the authority to discipline their nieces/nephews, I 

really believe that is soley up to the parents to do so if and when required! The only exception to that is if a) its a dangerous situation and the parent(s) aren't around or b)

if they are over at their aunt/uncles house. 

Your Aunt was way out of line to ask you to turn the x-box off! It was YOUR house, and you weren't disturbing anyone (ie noise), she really was crossing some major lines

by entering your room. I could understand if you were too loud, and you were waking

her up, but that wasn't the case here. If it were me? I would have put her right in her

place, I would have firmly reminded her she was a guest in your home, and if she did

not like things, she knows where the door is and choose to leave.

I have nieces and nephews myself, and I would never discipline them, it's not my role!

If they want something, I always tell them to ask their parents first, I never assume that

I have an authority  role there, I respect my place/role. Of course, if they are doing thing

that are dangerous, your damn right I'll step in, and I have before, luckily those are

few and far between.

Funny you should mention this, I had this very heated debate with my father, when he

decided to try to discipline my oldest niece (shes 7), in front of her parents! I firmly

reminded him that he was not her parent and he needed to back the hell off, of course

when I speak he shuts the **** up, because he knows not to cross me. But I digress,

I cannot stand when people think they can just walk in and dictate things when it 

isn't their place to do so.

In your house, no she does not have the right to do that, maybe if you were making noise, but no, that is up to your parents.

Your uncles and aunts have NO authority over you. If they didn't like your playing video games they should have spoken to your parents, not to you. You don't have to listen to your aunt or uncle. 

If you are under 18, they have lots of voice over yours. 

Sometimes there are sounds we make and do not realize it. 

Have you ever seen the reality TV show: "The 1940's House"?  It takes place in England, near London.  A family is picked to have to live in a house just the same as people had to during WW2.  I love it.   It ends with them having found out that their sons having used xbox before had decreased their sons/grandsons brains. The  sons brains became better away from it! ... They took up making their own games.   It is free to see on Youtube. It has four shows.  

Apparently your opinion isn't shared by your parents. And as far as you not making noise I believe that about as much as elephants being able to fly! You just sound like a spoiled disrespectful kid who doesn't like to be told what to do regardless of the reason which is why you are lying about the true reason to justify your disrespect. I'm sure you will be on here crying about how your family treats you so badly next.