Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 2 months ago

Do you burn your data on CD-DVD-BD?

• opurt

I used to, but almost never anymore, maybe if I'm burning a disc to use with an old console that only reads discs. They're too slow, not big enough, the cloud is easier for the smaller stuff... I've got a stack of old DVDs that will probably never get used again.

• Marvin

I used to and probably should, but these days I use Microsoft One Drive and thumb drives.

I use Archival DVD (not the regular DVD) that uses inorganic dies and lasts for 70 years. I haven't tried BD-R but planning to. I read dual layers are not reliable and so just stick to single layer. CDs are a huge no. Rate of data corruption can be high.

The reason why I want to try BD-R is because they have a higher capacity (25GB) as opposed to just 4.7GB with DVDs (archival and non-archival).

NEVER USE Flash drives. They are a huge risk because you will lose everything when it fails. You won't even be able to give it to a professional to recover your files (same applies with SSDs). WIth hard disk drives, you can still recover your files if the drive fails but it is costly (happened to me once and paid about USD 600).

well now days i use a flash drive or better yet, i have a portable hard drive and have all my computer software and info stored on it.

• Majd1 month agoReport

Best is Archival DVD (not the regular DVD) that uses inorganic dies and lasts for 70 years. Flash drives are a huge risk because you will lose everything when it fails. You won't even be able to give it to a professional to recover your files (same applies with SSDs)

• cosmo

I do for small, important things like tax records.  But mostly I backup to a RAID system, which is itself automatically backed up to another RAID system.  I've got too much stuff to back it up to the cloud economically.

Yes, I burn to both CD and DVD ... sometimes DVD-DL discs.

• Bill-M

None of the above. I back up my data on an external SSD.

• Majd1 month agoReport

Huge risk - if the drive fails, you will not be able to recover anything as opposed to a HDD.

I can not remember the last time a burn a disc.  I have a 3 TB external drive with RAID redundancy to protect the data.  It is much faster and cheaper to store my data there.  I have almost a half tb of data that I pack up regularly.  to do that on a DVD would take hundreds of disc and hours of disk swapping. 

Plus the next time I want to back up stuff (which is about every other day) I would have to purchase a whole new sets of disc and throw away all the old ones since you can only use them once.  I do not want to throw out that data where someone could get a hold of the discs.

Depending on how much data you have to back up, you can get a five 64 GB USB thumb drive for $30 on Amazon and back up our data that way a whole lot faster then disc.  Most people have less than 64 GB of data on their home computer.  Or a 1 tb external hard drive for under $50.  

So why would I want to use disc when either a flash drive or an external hard drive is so much cheaper and easier?

Not very often.

• Sandy

no, flash drives are easier and bigger (gigabit-wise).