Do Wired Earphones Sound Better than Wireless Earphones?

I've been using wired earbuds until now. I'm considering buying wireless earphones but I've heard that even today, wireless earphones do not sound as good as wired earphones.

Is this true? If you compared a $100 wireless earphone to a $100 wired earphones, will the wired one sound better? How much better?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, wired is Always better,

although the exact quality of sound depends on the specific headphones used.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Wireless headphones need to send their signals via radio frequencies. Noise and interference affect signal to noise ratio, and bandwidth (how much of the radio frequency is assigned to allow the signal to pass through) will affect frequency response. No such limitations exist in wired headphones. Of course wireless is convenient. It is easier to work on your car or in the garden without needing to have a wired headphone for example. If you do not need the convenience, you are better off spending money on wired headphones such as the AKG K240 (sounds great and costs less than a hundred bucks).

• 2 months ago

Generally, wired are better, but it also depends what media you are listening to and what device or amp is in use.

Wireless (using bluetooth) means the audio goes through a "lossy compression" process as the bluetooth stereo audio system cannot handle uncompressed CD quality audio - but the reduction of quality is less that with MP3 or AAC, so if the music source is already a lossy-compressed type, you are not losing anything extra.

For CD or FLAC, you may just notice a slight difference in quality, but only very slight.

Wireless that have their own base unit, typically using an FM radio link, can be better than bluetooth, but it depends on the exact type.With any wireless type, the actual audio amplifier is then in the headphones themselves, rather than the sound source directly driving the earpieces in the headphones.

That may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending how good the audio stages in each item are; good wireless headphones may have better audio amps than a cheap phone or MP3 player..

Having a separate amp in the headphones also means they can adjust the frequency response or boost bass etc. separately from the original source.Whether you consider that a good thing or bad thing is personal taste.

I use both wired and wireless - Sony MDR-7506 wired for ultimate quality on good equipment, and some DR-BT50 bluetooth ones I've had for many years, for portable media playback & convenience when I'm working away, stuck in a hotel. 

• 2 months ago

Wired will sound better because you aren't paying for the wireless components. Depends on the brand as well.

Beats are universally garbage no matter what anyone says, Sennheiser is the best, apple is the worst of the worst.

Build quality, greed of the manufacturer, design, all play a part and it's too complicated to answer without writing a book for you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, wired earphones do sound better, Bluetooth messes up a lot.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.