What do I need in order to drive my car from from florida to new york?

I bought my car from a private seller (my friend) in Florida right before the pandemic and I really want to get it now that things have calmed down. The car isn't registered nor insured. I just want to know what exactly I need to do in order to be able to drive it back to my home state of New York.

You need to get temporary Fl plates/registration and you will need documents to do that - like Bill of Sale.  You will also need insurance.  So go on the Fl DMV website and read. Bring your checkbook when you go ( and how are you getting there??. . .) Once that is all done, you have a certain amount of time to get NYS insuring, registration/plates, insurance.  This is fine all the time, but you get know every single detail fit both states.  IN NO  WAY should you think you can drive this up without doing this. The other me this is to use a cart transfer service - the bring it up on a vehicle transport, and leave it off at your destination.   Long drive - better with 2 drivers to switch off, or part for the transport.  

• Make sure you pack a horse drawn cart in your car when heading for poor ny! In ny environmntalism and poverty have taken a foothold in the past 45 years. Car ownership up there has plummeted from a strong of 5 million in 1965 to 0.8 million in 2015. Animals for work is trend again! Soon even taking a bus, subway, tram or boat will be outta the reach for nyerz!

Well, you certainly cannot legally drive an unregistered and uninsured car five feet, never mind 1800 kilometers.

So, unless you at least get a temporary registration, and insurance, your only legal choice would be having it being shipped up to you.

• Joseph

There are companies that transport vehicles.  They come, load it on a truck and deliver it to its destination.  While they charge a fee for this service, it may be less than going down to Florida, getting temporary registration, insurance, and the cost of gas, food and lodging to drive it back to New York.  Then you only have to register the car once when it gets to New York.

Car, gas, license, somewhere to rest in between, money for tolls or gos that avoids tolls

• Rick

a map and a driver's license ...............