Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

Is it weird to walk barefoot in the hallway of an apartment building?

I live in an apartment building and when I take out the trash, I have to walk down the hallway to the compactor room. It's too much trouble to put on shoes or slippers when I'm just walking down the hall for literally 5 seconds to take out the trash. Our hallway floors aren't that dirty because it gets cleaned regularly, so it's not a big deal to me.

Would it be weird to start walking down the hallway barefoot to take out the trash? If neighbors see me, would they give me weird looks?

• East

Yes, it's tacky.  You're in a public place.  

Why bother about what other people think? There have been times my feet got so hot while I was shopping, that I took my shoes off and finished my shopping barefoot. The coldness of the floor was a massive relief. Why should I care about people who want to stare, but don't care enough to ask if I'm OK? 

It's pretty gross since other people have to walk there too. 

why do you care so much?

• What visually looks clean can't be cleaned if you know that people have been walking on the floor with their outside shoes. People walk on dog pee, spit, where vomit once was, billions of bacteria, viruses; All these things can get you so sick. Here you have it that you just walked where others have walked outside bringing it in and now your bare feet are in your homes where you are at leisure. You put your feet up on the couch, in your bed, walking in the kitchen floor where you get your food for consumption. Now all that was on the bottom of your feet collected from the hall is now in your home. It's just bad for your health. 

if slippers or shoes are annoying to put on, just buy some slides and keep them at the door for quick and fast jobs. 

To answer your question, it is weird. people are going to look at you as someone dirty. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+slides...

If the floor is clean as you  say, why are you even bothering to ask? You people have a strange idea of what 'weird' is.

Barefoot on the path to the trash? Eww, NO, that is gross to me.

Then what...you get back into your apartment and put your feet up on your ottoman or couch or bed? Yuck!

i dont think so, but it might help to put some socks on

If you wish to be barefoot when taking out the trash, then do so. Simply be aware of any debris on the ground that may cause you some pain, e.g., glass. You choosing to be barefoot is totally valid for you.

i dont think so but i would at least wear socks, i walk around my apt building with socks when im doing stuff like getting my mail or just walking around,