Installed dimmer switch and multiple lights not working?

We cut all the power in the house using the breaker box. Then I removed a regular light switch and installed a dimmer switch in its place. When we flipped the main breaker back on, the lights in a couple adjacent rooms didn t turn back on, but appliances plugged into outlets were unaffected. What could have gone wrong?

In older homes, it was common to route power from the breaker box to nearest switch with a second feed from there to the next switch.  From switches, power was routed to the controlled overhead light or outlet.  Usually, all lights in one area of the house were on same circuit, but outlets were all on a different circuit.  [they should be labeled in the breaker box, but frequently aren't].

in newer homes, the power is routed from breaker box to the overhead light and daisy chained from one light to the next -- you don't have this.

probably, you have the new dimmer wired up incorrectly.  the ongoing power lead to other lights has to be on same terminal [labeled "from breaker" in diagram] as the hot lead.  only the one other lead [to the controlled light] goes on the load side of the dimmer.

for 3 way, is about the same ...

Source(s): grampa

You connected the onward power to the wrong side of the dimmer. ? Does power return to the missing rooms when you turn the dimmer on?

Sounds like somebody before you wired stuff to other stuff that they shouldn't have. Probably to, well.. who knows? I had the same thing happen when I moved into an apartment in Austin. The first thing I do when I get a new place is install my dimmers. 

How many wires in the switch box and are the connections tight.?Grampa  B