Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 4 months ago

Any tips on making a 3 year old toddler stop using a pacifier? I heard that it messes up their teeth in the long run ?

I have two children, now 9 and 3, and I pretty much used the same method for both.  Around one year, I would hide it and give it to them less and less.  Eventually, I would only give it to them if they whined a lot before a nap or going to sleep for the night.  I continued on with this until they each didn't ask for it anymore...  and I always hid them.  Perhaps you can try weening your baby off of it in a similar fashion.  Being 3, I'm sure your baby can actually ask for it or search for it, but I would do my best to change the subject, ignore the topic, or offer something else in place of it...  until you don't have to do any of that anymore.  Best of luck!

TheColeture.com

Our now 24 year old daughter lost hers when she was three. When I found them back, I put them away where she couldn't find them.  I then told her I would get her some of her favorite kind of candy for being able to go to sleep at night without one (she only used it at night). She was able to do it, got her candy, and that was it.

She did have braces later on, but with the inherited shape of her palate and mouth, she would have had to anyway even if she had never used pacifiers (our next oldest daughter had braces too and never used pacifiers).

I'd recommend trying out the binkie fairy technique on supernanny. I know that it sounds silly but it definitely works.

dip in hot sauce..................

Burn them

• Jill

I just stopped buying them. They can't have one if there are none.

My son, who was about 2 and a half then, continued to use his last one (which I only allowed at night anyway) for a few weeks until it started to smell bad and then he agreed with me that it should go in the bin. He never asked for another one.