Is a split wall air conditioner an option in Manhattan NY?

I live in an apartment building near Central Park that was built in 1890 so I have no central ac. I do have a window air conditioner but there is a room with a fire escape with no ac that gets really warm in summer. I was wondering if a split wall air conditioner would be a good option. I hear that they cool quite well and they look neat in rooms. I think a professional would have to install though. How costly is it to install? I think the air conditioner itself to buy would be around $800-$1500 not including a technician fee to install. How does a split wall system work?

Talk to the super first.  They might not be allowed in your building.  Installation of outside unit can also be a problem if they are allowed.  If you do not see any outside units in the building, they might not be allowed.

HVAC technicians install split systems including the unit.  It will be hard to find installers install a unit that you buy on your own.

You need an external unit which you have to be able to access and that usually is the problem, unless you can hide it on the roof, out of site and out of earshot of neighbors who might complain: you also need a condensation drain from the internal unit, depending on the system. Most are not ac units as such as they do not introduce treated fresh air, but efficiently cool down the air that is in the room.