What would non-Christian people do during the Victorian era, if they wanted to get married?

Imagine two outcasts of the Church during the Victorian era. How could they get married, if they loved each other?

Well, they could get married in a Registry Office. These were established in Britain in 1836 - neatly pre-dating the Victorian era by one year.

They were set up to for the benefit of Catholics and Non-Conformists. Previously, marriages were only legal if performed according to Anglican rites. Registry offices enabled non-Anglicans to be legally married by the state, and to then hold ceremonies in their own churches separately.

There was no legal bar, so far as I know, to getting married in a Registry Office and holding no other ceremony.

• Lomax1 month agoReport

I got married in a Methodist church. I insisted on being married in a church despite being an atheist.

Quick trip to Gretna Green.