Is it safe to eat chicken and other meats with out washing before cooking?

• r

its ok, if you boil the checken first

I’ve read recently that it’s better to not wash poultry because washing it causes little droplets and aerosol particles that have chicken bacteria on them that spread around your kitchen.  I rinse whole poultry inside and out really well with cold water then pat them dry.  I don’t do that with chicken parts or meats.

I remember once reading an article that talked about a visit to a poultry plant and that the chickens while being processes were in “fecal soup”, the processing water plus chicken guts full of poop.  I think of that every time I deal with a whole bird and can’t not rinse it.  Because I’m usually buying free range, humanely slaughtered and antibiotic and hormone free chickens this is unlikely to be a problem, but I still rinse my birds.

• Quentin

Americans leave their chickens soaking in bleach to kill the germs.

• nappa

should always wash as meat has bacteria on it,, can make one sick,,

Best to wash chicken throughly first 

Current recommendations are that you do not "wash" chicken and other poultry particularly because it actually spreads more bacteria around due to splashes and drips. 

So no need to wash poultry. And there is no need to "wash" any other cut of meat. 

• Gail Davis1 month agoReport

Wash your kitchen down with bleach afterwards.

Actually you should NEVER wash poultry. It can increase your chances of food poisoning by spreading campylobacter bacteria onto your work surfaces and hands and utensils!  And I don't a soul who has EVER washed red meat before cooking. 

Don't wash your meat!!

• kswck2

You don't need to wash chicken. Just pat it dry. It is safe to eat with other meats, so long it is cooked to 165 degrees. 

I absolutely NEVER wash meat. That is a sure way to actually spread germs on your food.

It's safer than washing it. All washing does is spread the bacteria around.

Yes                            .