Legal question: My wife's parents are living at home, her brother is POA, does he have the right to demand they go to an assisted center?

Her mother has what I call moderate dementia, going towards severe. Her dad does not have a drivers license because of his sight, both in their 80's. Her brother seems to think that as long as he is of sound mind he cannot "force" him to do what he does not want to do. BIG PROBLEM: They continue to drive with her behind the wheel, they shouldn't be driving


She technically has a valid drivers license, but her physician has said she shouldn't be driving. We don't even want them to go to church, they refuse to use Uber or another type of travel. It's not that far, but still we are thinking of others. Can we force them to an assisted living arrangement and of course taking the car away.

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    No, you cannot force them, but if folks stop enabling them to live an unsafe lifestyle, they may have no choice but to enter an assisted living facility.

    I removed a spark plug and loosened the batery connection of my aunts car to stall her from driving until her doctor got involved.Call your mom's doctor and tell him that you insist he fill out the proper forms to have her license revoked. I did that for my alzheimers aunt who should not have been driving. I told the doc about her failing condition and that he would have blood on his hands if he did not cooperate. He cooperated.Power of attorney does not make one the boss of another person. It just allow someone to act as their agent....banking, paying bills, access to medical info, real estate transactions and that sort of thing), all depending what the POA papers give authorization for.You may need to get social services involved. Have a sibling meeting and  ome up with a plan.Get your mom to stop driving....she could kill someone.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

    No.  As long as they are of sound mind or even one is of sound mind you can not force them.  The Doctor, if he feels that they are not being cared for properly can insist on a visitation by the state in which they evaluate their competency.  The Brother has been made POA probably over their finances and if he is willing and able to care for them... you are stuck like chuck.  It is up to the Doctor to write the state and ask for her license to be revoked on medical reasons.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    i think he might have that right if hes poa

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.