Gas Steam table up to code by law? ?

I have a gas steam table in a restaurant. I've been trying to get my permit to allow my to open. However, I have an issue. 

The steam table has a pilot and a knob to turn up the flames. 

The city required me to have a license tech to come check all my equipment. 

the tech came and check. Wrote down that it does not have a safety switch. 

I don't understand what they mean that i need to add a safety switch to a steam table. when the steam table was manufactured that way. 

The design is the same of a grill or a stove top boiler.  seen below. 

Have to light the pilot and turn on the knob. There is not safety switch. 

Any one know the code for gas appliances? 

If the powers that be state you need the switch, then you need the switch. Go to them and ask what the function of the safety is, whether  damage to the supply hose or flame failure.

• Edwena

It might have to do with location.  The steam table being out with the customers who could always rip off the gas hose.  I don't know the function of a  gas "safety switch", may be a quality plumbing store could explain it.  But my guess is that it will shut off on excessive flow. Like a drunk turns over the table, the switch turns off the fire.

I’d be willing to bet your steam table doesn’t have a way to stop gas flow to the pilot should the pilot be blown out. Meaning. Gas would continuously flow if the pilot isn’t burning. Does your steam table have a button you need to press and hold to relight the pilot? If not, that’s what he’s talking about adding.