Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My mom tries to sabotage me How do I cope?

My mother says a lot of hurtful things to me. I call her out on it, and she does not make amends. For example, I have struggled with thyroid problems for a decade now. She is well aware of this, but she constantly calls me "lazy" for being fatigue. I am also 80 lbs. overweight, and my mom constantly takes digs at my size. I explain that I have health problems, and she says she doesn't want to hear it and that I am lazy and need to stop eating. However, I recently went on a spiritual Daniel fast. I was not trying to, but I lost 8 lbs. During that time, my mom continued to offer me junk food. She later admitted that she noticed I was losing weight. Basically, my mother saw me making a change for the better and tried to stop it. I live with her right now cannot afford to leave. How do I ignore her?

Update:

I also gained the lost weight back within a day or two of finishing the fast because my thyroid became inflamed.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

My dad is often the same with me. He will tell me to exercise and lose weight. It is hard to hear. I went to see a psychologist, because his words hurt me. The psychologist helped me to understand that my father has issues of his own. He grew up in a time where criticizing others because of appearance was pretty normal. So, can you imagine how awful it would have been growing up in those times? Yup, pretty awful! In fact, I discovered that my dad has body images issues. He often starves himself for days, because he believes he is overweight - and he is not. Your mother probably has SO many issues that she has never dealt with. Maybe she heard her own mother or grandmother body shaming her. And now she is just a hurt person - and her way of dealing with her own hurt is to hurt you. In situations like these, I try to pretend like I am listening and not listen at all. In one ear, out the other. I keep telling myself that they were raised in a different time. They don't understand life as it is now. Many people were hateful and negative way back when in their time - and it was okay to be hateful and negative back then. Remember that although her words are hateful, she actually loves you. She just has a funny way of showing it. And remember how awesome you are! I mean, to be able to find and try a diet like Daniel is pretty awesome! Most people wouldn't have the guts to try it. But you did! Good for you! You're a great person and nobody can change that - not even ugly words! Remember, in one ear and out the other. People who are hurting themselves... like to hurt others. Good luck!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

maybe you should move out

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have to get away frm hr s she 

is pure poison for your own soul s mk 

sure ya find a way to gt t his f'd-up 

situation!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{

• 1 month ago

You have to consult a doctor. You need to avoid that person who tries to sabotage. You have to think for a while and see what is best of you. It is important to chalk out the best plan and then move ahead in life. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

How old are you? Do you still live with her?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.