Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Does regular Syrup taste as good as maple syrup?

I heard maple syrup was superior but it’s just so expensive I can never bring myself to buy it

If by “regular” you mean “fake” maple syrup made with cornstarch, artificial maple flavoring and a colorant, no.  The whole premise of “fake” maple syrup is that its less expensive.  To me, fake syrup is pretty gross.

Properly sourced and used in reasonable quantity maple syrup isn’t that expensive.  I get mine at Trader Joe’s in a wine bottle sized bottle and because it’s a staple in my pantry and a bottle of it lasts me a year or two I don’t worry about the price.  If I had kids...I’d be monitoring their consumption and probably not putting it on the table for them as kids tend to overpour and waste lots of syrup, plus I wouldn’t want my kids to have that much sugar at once.

I can’t remember the last time I made pancakes, maybe 10 years ago.  I do make waffles occasionally and serve them with a topping of fruit, plain whole milk yogurt with a little cinnamon, vanilla and real maple syrup stirred into it and maple syrup on the side.  I rarely put more than a couple of tablespoons of syrup on my whole grain waffles as the fruit and yogurt add sweetness and moisture.

Mostly I use real maple syrup in recipes, dressings and dips and smoothies.  I use very little to just give a boost of sweetness and a little maple flavor.  I am usually using it where someone else might use sugar, which I rarely have in the house and only when making my special “secret recipe” cookies anyway.

• John

I will eat flavored corn syrup if that is all there is to eat, like at someone's house. I would never in my life buy it. Maple syrup or nothing. Not kidding either.

I think maple syrup is far superior to regular syrup, which tastes like badly-flavored corn syrup. Maple syrup has a deeper, richer flavor. And you can find it that's not expensive. It is also an unexpected source of minerals, and a unique polyphenol that isn't found anywhere else. 

It depends. Everyone's taste is different. I don't know if it's still made but I had a friend who preferred Mrs. Butterworth's Syrup to anything else. Personally, I'm fortunate because price doesn't matter to me. I guess what you should do is buy a small amount and see if you think it's better than the cheaper syrup you can afford. If you think so, then you'll have do decide if it's with the sacrifice.

• Lolly

Yes but you don't need as much, as it has actual flavor.

• denise

To me regular syrup is thicker than maple syrup, though maple syrup has a more 'smoky' flavour if that's what you like. 

• kswck2

Regular syrup has little to No maple syrup in it. Try a Small bottle of the good stuff. You will never go back. A buddy of mine ships me a bottle once per year-his neighbors make it. 

• CB

Yeah it is worth the price difference, warm it before using it really makes it more flavorful. Like said you don't use that much, it will last forever (might crystallize over long term storage but that can be fixed).  Try a small bottle for Fancy Grade B. Our local grocery used to sell a syrup that was 15% maple and actually quite good for much less money but no longer carry it. 

It’s generally thinner, because junk syrup uses high fructose corn syrup, and artificial flavorings. Go for it. 

No, it doesn't taste as good. Yes, maple syrup is expensive, but how much of it would you go through?