Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 months ago

How can I get my cat to stop laying down in the bathroom?

My cat's favorite place in the house is the bathroom. She spends most of her time laying down on the bathroom floor, sometimes even cuddled up to the toilet. It's just... kind of gross. Is there any way to discourage her from being in there (other than to use her litter box) and to encourage her to find a new spot to hang out? We've tried putting treats in her bed, but she just eats the treats and goes back into the bathroom

The cat's litter box is in there. If I close the door she won't be able to use it.

• Edward

find her something cool to lie on.  She's lying in bathrrom cos the tiled floor is cool

maybe it is cooler in their. put down some bathroom mats and she may not like this

• Orla

Your cat is safe and comfortable there. Leave her alone and stop complaining.

Your cat is comforted by the heat and humidity of the bathroom. Cats prefer warm and slightly more humid conditions. Just clean your bathroom more often--if you're going to keep the box in there, you can't keep her out. You can't train her to want to sleep somewhere else. Either move the box, or clean the bathroom floor more often. 

Cats are all about comfort, so if your cat is laying around in the bathroom it may be that the hard surface floor is cooler.

I don’t know why this would be gross unless your house isn’t clean.  If it’s so gross you don’t want the cat in there, then clean it really well and keep it clean.

Probably the bathroom it is cooler other place so she like there. Does she like to lie in the bathroom all year round? If it just happened on summer or hot days, Maybe you can prepare some cool mat for her. Or you can buy summer cat tree or Rattan Wicker Cat House. Hoping this helps!

Ps: if you need cat tree cat cube cat scratching please have a look on cupets cat tree. 

• Ocimom

Sounds like the flooring in the bathroom is tile and you have a lot of carpet.  When its hot, cats seek a cooler place to lay.  Since the litter box is in the bathroom you have to provide alternate flooring which is cooler.

Possibly it's cooler there than the rest of the house, possibly it's quieter there with less traffic. Cats like somewhere quiet to lie down, that's one of the reasons they like a cat tree, so they can go up there to relax without worrying about being trodden on. If you're not going to move the litter tray you can't keep her out. All you can do is wait for her to change her mind about where to lie down.

Its probably cooler in there.   Keep your bathroom clean if you think that its so gross.

No idea. 

I had one cat, domestic longhair, that loved curling up in the wash basin. Did not mind getting wet. Would even jump up there and lie down while you were brushing teeth. Turning on the tap would not discourage him. Many times I ended up spitting out toothpaste into the bath rather than onto the fur of our longhaired cat.