Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Why does Prince Charles not have nearly the same level of public support that the Queen and the Duke of Cambridge have?

Update:

An April 2020 article about Charles’ unpopular status, stating that “just over a third of people think Prince Charles has been positive for the Royal Family” :

https://www.lady-first.me/article/prince-charles-p...

Update 2:

@Verulam 1: If you had bothered to read the second article dated April 2020 you would see that recent polling from two different polls shocked Penny Junor who is quoted in the article. The article states “almost two thirds of Brits don’t want Charles to become king”. It also states that “less than a fifth of people (14 per cent) would want his wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, as queen”.

Update 3:

To clarify, Penny Junor didn’t make those statements. The article did, referencing the two recent polls. Ms. Junor just commented on how shocked she was by the poll results. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Prince Charles has the issues of Camilla Parker Bowles hanging over his head. It doesn't bother me personally, but many would see that as just not the done thing.

To me he comes across as less warm and congenial than some of the other royals. I don't particularly feel a connection with Charles, whereas Queen Elizabeth I absolutely adore.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Who cares?   Why support any of them? 

• 1 month ago

I DO NOT SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, AS HE IS THE KING IN WAITING AND IS DOING THE JOB WITHOUT A TITLE AT THE MOMENT AS EVERYONE AND THE QUEEN ARE IN LOCKDOWN.

• 1 month ago

It would seem obvious that his lack of public support is based on his behaviour over the years, most especially related to family matters 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most polls are not trustworthy.The poll is not a scientifically-done poll and results of polls are questionable. Polls can be skewed to fit someone's agenda. The agenda of this poll is to disparage Charles.

You are also confusing polls, not one poll, that is reported on for this story. "These results come just a week after another poll discovered almost two thirds of Brits don't want Charles to become king. " The new poll did not report that result about those favoring William being the next king--a previous poll did.... but this really doesn't matter since neither poll meets qualifications of being properly done.

People need to learn that polls are not trustworthy because they can be massaged to fit an agenda. Polls that do not publish exact questions, show that the exact questions were repeated without changes to each respondent. report on who is answering the question, their biases, prejudices, fail to follow proper procedures of correctly carried out polling.

The Queen has a history of 68 years of dutiful reign.

William is the son of the popular Diana, Princess of Wales. Catherine is admired for her style and her kindness.

Charles did have the setback of the failure of his marriage, where information given to the public was one-sided, not as truth-filled as it should have been--the entire story is Diana's story, Charles' story, and what really happened. Repetition of these stories are cyclical and whenever the ghost of Diana is conjured--as it was with the story about what Camilla's titles will be--affect Charles' popularity.

William and Catherine have been doing a lot of virtual meetings and are more in the public eye than Charles is at the moment. They are getting good press because of this.

• ?1 month agoReport

Ah, very Trumpian of you to blame the polls. After all, you are American. 

• 1 month ago

It does not matter what in the polls, Charles will be the next Monarch that 

is the law.

• patty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

the queen has class, something charles was born without

• Manxbiker
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones

• 1 month ago

Even in the few short years since the first article was written (I've not bothered with the second) I'd suggest the public perception of Prince Charles and his wife has mellowed to the point there's no 'hatred'.   There will always be those who looked on Diana as some kind of Goddess and so the opposite with Charles and Camilla, but these are not the majority.   We in the UK have other things to be concerned about re them becoming King and Queen Consort eventually.   Especially at the moment!

Being a members of the RF, whatever that job might be, isn't a popularity contest.   It's about whether they can DO the job!!  Prince William isn't universally liked either.

• Helen Heels
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

In 2020 it is a popularity contest.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What does it matter about a couple of stories in a couple of magazines. One of them being dated September 24, 2018. Being in the royal family is not a contest to see who is the most popular.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't suppose anyone is going to take much notice of an Australian tabloid, but Prince William appeals to a younger generation and the Queen has the highest approval rating so that is hardly a surprising outcome. As for Prince Charles getting a third of  the 'vote'  - most Prime Ministers get less than that. The public was far more critical of the future Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales and yet he became one of the most popular kings, so doesn't do to prejudge these things.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.