Can I safely drill a nail through a piece of wood to a tree to make a ladder up the said tree?

It's a pine tree. Dont know what type. But it's the kind that's literally everywhere. Location is SC

13 Answers

Relevance
  • patty
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

might kill the tree

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

While it would be safe for the tree in that it wouldn't be enough to kill the tree, you shouldn't trust the nails to support your weight on that ladder up the tree.  Nails can work loose over time, or if they're small they can bend or pull out of the board steps, resulting in you suddenly falling to the ground with a board clutched in your hand.  If you want to be confidently safe, use some good sized lag screws with washers.  Or better yet, get a ladder that has a weight rating for your size and strap it to the side of the tree.

• 1 month ago

Do not use nails, use long screws. And, use two per ladder rung, several inches apart, so it does not spin/move.

• 1 month ago

use threaded floorboard nails,that;ll anchor them nicely

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JASON
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You'll only kill the tree if you cut all around the bark in a circle.

• 1 month ago

Unless you're a squirrel, there should be no reason to climb up into a pine tree--which is only going to get you completely covered in sticky sap. But yes, you can do exactly what you describe if you don't mind having unremovable sap all over your hair. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why would you want to climb a pine tree.

Don't be a sap, which is what you are going to get when you put a hole in a pine tree.

If you want to climb a tree, climb one that's interesting. 

No it should not hurt a healthy tree if you put a few holes in it. Wood peckers do it all the time. 

But you should probably fill the hole with something or else it invites insects like beetles and borers. 

• 1 month ago

You hammer nails, not drill them. I don't see why not though if it's a mature tree. Your ladder won't last forever, but I doubt if that's your aim.

• 1 month ago

Well steps can be nailed to a tree to make a ladder but from you asking about drilling a nail I doubt  you can do it.

• 1 month ago

Yes.  I did that all the time as a kid to build tree houses.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.