Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why do people believe that dogs need meat?

I'm from India where most people are vegetarians. There are a lot of Indians who keep dogs as pets and feed them vegetarian food. Inspite of feeding dogs vegetarian food, they stay healthy and strong. There are some people here in this section who think meat is necessary for dogs, but I have the proof to silence the pro-meat people - https://www.peta.org/issues/animal-companion-issue...

• Amber

An Indian family around my way feeds their dogs no meat. Dogs, just like humans, as actually omnivores. There are very few true carnivores on land. It's just so many people believe the myth that dogs are solid carnivores. A dog could live on a pure meat diet just fine - my sister gives her a meat only raw diet. They are perfectly healthy. This Indian family have only ever fed their 3 dogs veg and fruit. One is 18 yrs old, the other 10 and the last is 14. They've clearly managed on it since puppy hood. However, omnivores do best, it seems on a well balanced diet, that's not to say they'd wither away and die on veg vs meat diet only. There are a lot of myths circulating about dogs and how they act and them being solid meat eaters only is one of them. I'm not in favour of the no meat diet for dogs. But do agree they do need a wide variety of different foods to obtain full health and fitness.

Yeah. PETA is totally an unbiased source for information. You can tell what an animal needs to eat by looking at the teeth., Canines NEED meat protein. Feeding them a vegetarian diet is abuse, plain and simple.

Reported for Ranting.  You're an idiot.  You can tell a carnivore by its TEETH.  Dogs and cats are BOTH obligate carnivores.  There's not a single carnivore out there that can live on plants and no meat.

This is bullcrap. DOGS ARE CARNIVORES. They will eat other foods, but they most certainly ARE carnivores. Can they survive on vegetarian diets? Well--yes--but they require constant monitoring to make sure they are getting all the nutrition they need. If you don't feed a dog meat, you have to supplement their diet with substitutes. Dogs in your country aren't eating 100% vegetable foods no matter what you think--they are probably catching other animals and eating THEM. 

Dogs are faculative CARNIVORES. Everything about a dog even SCREAMS carnivore from their teeth to their digestive tract. If they were naturally suited to a herbivorous diet then they'd have the teeth and digestive tract for it. They CAN NOT at any point THRIVE on a plant based diet. You may as well feed the poor animal damn pedigree or other cheap grocery store food when you choose to feed a no-meat diet. Get a freaking guinea pig if you want a plant eating pet.

Also PETA is a garbage source for any decent information. 

PETA ...proof....lol. 

I read the article but it is the only one I have ever seen saying this.  & in my opinion, it would be out of context when feeding dogs.  The structure of a dogs mouth is for hunting & killing but as domestic pets that is not even instinct any more.  Mankind has messed & messed with the commercial dog food & it has so many fillers unless you go grain free & I see no problem with going grain free.  I have never seen or heard of a dog stealing corn cobs off the stalk, nor have I seen them eat wheat standing in the fields or soy or any of the other additives.  But to go vegan.......I don't think so.

Yes, I believe that that's what "a lot" (there's a scientific quote) of Indians who feed dogs vegetarian food.  Of course, a lot of people in India are in arranged marriage and the husband pays the bride's father for her hand ... in cows.

I'm not in favor of the vegetarian diet, the arranged marriages or the cows.

And PETA is your source?  Laughable.

Peta KILLS animals..  So your source isnt valid.

Dogs DO need meat.  They are carnivores.   

• *****

PETA isn't "proof" of anything, it's extremist animal rights propaganda. Yes, dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet, but they don't thrive on it as they do on meat-based diets. Dogs are carnivores and adapted to eat a diet that is primarily meat. If you want to feed a pet a vegetarian diet, get a rabbit, guinea pig, iguana, or another herbivorous pet instead.

Oh wow, that link is so convincing. It’s from PETA. 

All you have to do is look at dog teeth vs human teeth vs cow teeth 

Dog teeth are sharp and pointy so it can dig into its prey and rip the flesh. Cows have flat teeth to grind grass. Humans have both.