Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 5 months ago

Is Cornell a bad school?

My friends keep making fun of me saying it's the "lowest ranked ivy." Like seriously? I worked hard to get where I am. Plus, I got a full-ride scholarship to attend. I got into Harvard too, which my friends say I'm crazy to not attend. I'd love to attend Harvard too!! But I got in as a biomedical engineering but I wanted biology plus I didn't get a full-ride. Is there any grain of truth to what my friends are saying? Because they make it seem like I'm making the biggest mistake of my lifetime.

@anonymous andy bernard was my least favorite character I hate him

Cornell is an excellent school, and they have one of the top programs in the country in your field. If they've offered you a full ride scholarship, by all means, TAKE IT !!!! You won't likely get another offer like that. You need to ignore your friends and do what is right for YOU. And Harvard isn't all it's cracked up to be.

You'll also love Cornell's campus. It's up in Ithaca, NY, which is in the Fingerlakes region of upstate NY. The town itself is in the foothills of the western slopes of the Adirondack mountains, and the Cayuga River runs right through both the campus and the town. There's a beautiful state park there that you'll love hiking and biking in. Plus, this is ski country in the winter. There are ski areas everywhere, and lots of other chances for winter sports.

Congratulations on your achievement in getting a full scholarship to Cornell. You'll have a wonderful time there.

You're smart enough to get into two Ivies, so you must be smart enough to research the rankings for colleges.  They are measured in many categories, and there isn't one ranking that makes one college a 'good' one, and another, a 'bad' one.  As for your "friends," have any been accepted at any of the colleges they want you to go?   Do your own research; find out what's best for you, and works best for the budget you have.  

• drip

You are obviously going to be going on to graduate school. Getting your undergrad degree with no student debt is the only way to go.

Giving up on a full ride scholarship would be your mistake. This isn’t like you are picking between Harvard and a CUNY school.

You’re smart. You can make this decision on your own. The only people you need to discuss this with is your parents. 

u tribecca kiddies are often noses upturned,,both are liberal democrat run,has confiscatory tuition to pay back for years,affirm action means dingbats can get degrees in various subjects,,loweing the value of the sheepskin you get to show prospective employers when schoo;'s  over and you are sending cover ltrs everywhere and getting nowhere,, if cornell fills the bill for you,forget them,they are not the ones who will be making payments for 30 years,,they are snobs

You need new friends.

Be wary of biology, you need a masters degree in order to gain work in the field. Cornell is not a bad school, but it depends on how competitive your field is.

There are some fields where you essentially have to attend Harvard or Yale to have a good chance of getting work in your field (Law is one of them).

If you want to attend Cornell, why on EARTH does the opinion of others matter?  This is YOUR life, not theirs. If they're so concerned with "image", they aren't very good friends. They should be supporting your choice, not degrading it. Ignore OPINION which is not founded in fact--and theirs is not, trust me--and do what you want!!  

You are exceptionally lucky to get into Cornell with a scholarship. It's a great school, very highly regarded. Ignore your "friends." Are they jealous? Or....? They certainly are not acting like friends, who would be happy for you, supportive of your choice. 

1. Harvard does not have a separate undergraduate engineering school that requires separate application than the undergraduate Harvard College. You are not required to declare a concentration upon applying or upon admission. There's no reason, if you actually were admitted to Harvard, that you could not study biology instead of biomedical engineering. 

2. Both Cornell and Harvard have need-based scholarships only, not merit-based (nor athletic). If anything, Harvard is more generous in their scholarships than Cornell. It seems *highly* unlikely that Cornell would offer you significantly more financial aid than Harvard. 

3. I have not heard that Harvard extended its "reply deadline" from May 1 due to Covid-19 issues, and I know Cornell did not. 

4. But to answer your (slightly suspect) question, Harvard certainly has more "cachet" than Cornell. I can't say you will never regret choosing Cornell over Harvard. That said, I *can* say you'll regret not accepting a "full ride" when it comes time to start paying off your student loans. So if your parents can afford to pay the difference (and will do so), head to Harvard; if going to Harvard means you need to take out student loans, then head to Cornell. 

Yes, Cornell may be the "lowest ranked ivy," but that's kind of like being the "world's poorest billionaire." It's still an excellent university. 

Just disregard the rankings. Still, I'd take advantage of the full ride.