Can respect be earned without some kind of demonstration of strength? If so, what example?

The overwhelming answers here are affirmative.

I agree.

Here the contributor P gives I think an excellent answer that "humility" can be greater that "macho-ness" so to speak^.

And that the behaviour of humility RATHER THAN the behaviour of macho-ness

can have greater respect. I think this is such an excellent PHILOSOPHY example that it can be repeated, "humility behaviour is greater than macho behaviour."

This looks to me very much like the Start of an equation too (where the math sign for "greater than" is inserted between the two behaviours).

This brings me to highlight what some scientists are working on right now;

the information concerning the Origin of life where Darwinist theory as a purely

random thing being responsible.

And they have honed-in-on the idea that the INFORMATION needed to

produce even the very limited (Cambrian period of the earliest life forms)

start to life on earth may be More Explainable now in a sort of digital

computer code. Yet they are stuck (no one can see how to explain how a

truly massive event of a perfect info code -from that calculated, I think its

about 10 to the power 77 thereabouts- being generated.. and generated

for all the lifeforms existing now - well from what they unanimously agreed..) the odds & so likelihood are TOO Great that any RANDOM CODE could have

happened.

This set me thinking on top of where that (this) code could have "come from",

in effect how it could have come about.

With the "humility ~ macho" behaviour distinction the key^.

^ in pure philosophy we know that the key doesn't operate when an objective

aim & a non-critical method is used. I believe then that ONE OR THE OTHER

IS MISSING when children & young people do philosophy ; of course there

are always exceptions like Greta Thunberg and Helen Keller 

Source(s): (Scientists Mayor, Gelertner etc)
    • peter m

Moderated by behaviour gives us the solution, the complete solution as to how that information sequence started all-that-time-ago at the beginning of life at the start of the Cambrian Period. 

You can be respected for being

fair

• P

Yes it can and without overwhelming everyone else. Even humility can earn respect. For an example Mother Teresa Bojaxhiu. Contrast this with macho leaders who feel that they must always demonstrate that they're stronger than everyone else, and that few genuinely respect

• It's a matter of semantics.  All virtues are strengths, and respect is gained through the ownership of virtue.  But if you are referring to physical strength, yes, it can be earned without it....in fact, most respected people have become so without physical strength.

yes , but not physical 

I would say strength is financial responsibility

you see real strength and real respect comes form achieving things that are obvious yet still take dedication and effort

almost anyone can get a job, earn a salary and piss it away

and anyone can also save invest that salary and succeed to a place people should strive to do the same ... but people are lazy and want a magic answer and use excuse like _ I do not make enough money ?BS I say 

so do what is clearly hard for most people and then help others do they same 

• Speed

Sure, there are many people who earn respect without showing they have the power to hurt you if you fail to respect them.

Inspirational religious and political leaders leap to mind. That's not all religious or political leaders, but some, sure.

Professors, researchers, and other experts in their fields of study who know so much more than nearly everyone that they command respect from anyone in the field.

Doctors and other caregivers whose knowledge and ability to apply it can save lives, or vastly improve them.

Older people who have seen much, survived it all, and have literal wisdom to pass on if younger people are able and willing to listen.

Oppressed people who have withstood it and refuse to buckle.

• Cogito

Physical strength, yes. Strength of character, perhaps not.

I wouldn't use the word 'demonstration' as that implies that one is making a conscious effort to show the other person what sort of character you have.

I think you need to see kindness, intelligence, integrity and other such characteristics for yourself through observation of someone's behaviour and words, not when they're aware they're being 'assessed'!

• peter m

(perhaps then an "unconscious effort", the result of acting, of learning lines or of being in an inspiring Movie, or one with few intended mistakes & so "lifelike" "real" "true")

You seem to have respect confused with fear. 

• I think you may have confused strength for intimidation and the earned kind of respect for the non-intrusion kind of respect