I do not want to see political advertisement; how do i report ads on Yahoo?

My screen, in my home has what I want on it. Not what yahoo wants, not what Verizon or any ‘third party’ wants. My home. My property. My rules. My screen. My choice.

They are completely aware how frustrating these ads are. They couldn’t care less. You are not the customer. You are the product. More specifically your eyes and brain are the product. And they sell this product to their customers, the advertisers. Once you understand this basic fact, it becomes obvious that an ad-blocker is essential. If someone’s going to sell me, it’s going to be me doing the selling, under my terms, and it’s going to be me getting paid.

It’s a simple matter for them to prevent access to their site if an ad-blocker is detected, but they won’t do that. Why?

Firstly, the same reason software developers release free cut-down/crippled demo versions of their software. It attracts interest and some people will move on to hand over money for the full product.

Secondly, it would be extremely unpopular, create a bad reputation and significantly reduce the number of new sign-ups. They need to keep their user numbers high because that’s how they sell advertising.

Over last 5 or 10 years the internet has become almost unusable without an ad-blocker of some kind. Asking you to disable your ad-blocker is like asking you to dress like a schoolgirl and walk through a max security prison yard.

As others will point out, your official choice is to suck it up and let yahoo sell you like meat, or move along and let some other poor sap take your place. A free-account user complaining to yahoo is like a Cow complaining to the abattoir.

Use whatever ad-blocker works best for you. If the site no longer works, use a different site. There’s always a different site with better administration. Always.

My ad-blocker is failing to stop the ‘disable your ad-blocker’ pop-up at the moment. yahoo have deliberately hacked a way around it. That’s bad, but it can be fixed I’m sure. Either that or I’ll just choose a different site. Which is exactly how I came to use yahoo in the first place!

• Lili

How do you think they stay in business?

Ads support sites financially.

• Sharon

You don't report them to anyone. The ads are how Yahoo pays for its service. That is why they are there.

You can complain on the User Forum. Unless the ad contains illegal activity, reporting does nothing. If you don't like them, ignore, get an ad blocker, or use another site.

Get an ad blocker in your web browser..

The site only exists because of adverts that pay Yahoo a small amount when clicked.

It's their site and their rules; it anyone does not like it, they are not required to use it and can go elsewhere.

• Scott

You can complain about advertisements on the suggestion board. However this site is funded through advertising. So Yahoo! is not going to delete advertisements just because you request it.