Is it safe to use Network capturing programs when using remote desktops?

I'm a student studying computer science and in one of our assignments we have to connect to a remote desktop (one which is assigned to us) from our computer.

And then we have to use a network analyzer program with interfaces set to promiscuous mode to capture and record network data between our computer and the destination computer.

OMG! Is this all safe!? This is so damn scary. What happens if I log into my social media on my computer while I'm linked to the remote computer, and this network analyzer is running? Will it record all the data being sent out by my computer?

Can this be used maliciously?

And I know that this is just an assignment and I should trust my teacher or whatever. But you never really know.....it's always better to be paranoid than blissfully ignorant.

• VP

Although a network (protocol) analyzer is new to you -- rest assured it's a normal tool for network techs. It's nothing to be afraid of as long as you don't screw around while connected to it.  Its usage is normally reserved for times when it's necessary to see exactly what's happening at the protocol level.

And, yes, it can be used maliciously -- which is why most shops don't allow untrustworthy people to join their network squads.

• BigE

Wireshark is available on Linux/MacOs free.  It is used by hackers a bit but mostly by network engineers.

You need admin level access to use it but to reconfigure the network to use it either network admin level or physical security changes.

• BigE

Your social media SHOULD be using SSL, so the packets are encrypted (cannot be decode) but it will show you are connected to that. Just don't do anything stupid.

It really can't be too malicious because you are on a switched network and only things on that machine are shown (and broadcast stuff).  You would need to port mirror the switch to get anyone else's stuff or install a hub.

There used to be another way, but pretty sure that hole was fixed.

I do this ALL THE TIME when there is a problem on a box.

i would ask a computer place about it