Wrench light came on in my 2008 Ford focus, but then went off. Should I be worried?

Do I still need to have it checked out? Has anyone else had this experience? Obviously I am still going to monitor this but my hope is that since it went off relatively fast, then this is nothing to be concerned with. I read for my model, that sometimes this means the throttle body needs to be replaced..

How good are you at maintenance? The light came on for a reason. Take it to a Ford dealer & they'll diagnose the problem for free & they'll tell you how much.

• Scotland262 weeks agoReport

The light doesn't always come on for a reason. Just to let you know it went off and has stayed off since then. If I took it somewhere, I most certainly would have been ripped off..especially at a dealership

• Robert

Could be anything from worn spark plugs to an air hose failure on the intake manifold where one of the large pleated hoses has split upsetting the fuel/air mixture outside the tolerable ecu settings. This at best is intermittent and will vary according to driving conditions as the engine moves slightly when taking up drive load. Inspection and replacement required. 

It could mean you had a loose gas cap if it came and went. Wait till it comes on again to get it checked.

Check your wrench!

• Scott

It could mean many different things, it is not a clear indicator that the throttle body needs replacing. You clearly don't know what you're doing, so take your car to a shop that knows what they're doing.

Don't start guessing because you "read something". That's a good way to waste your money. The code may have been set so go to an auto parts store and have the codes read for free. If no code is in the system a mechanic's scan tool needs to be used to monitor the engine data to verify all the sensors are working within spec.

the wrench light comes on when the car is due for a service ..read your handbook 

Fix your car when the wrench light stays ON.  You will be wasting time and money when there is no problem.

i would ask a mechanic to check it out

Do not know about 'wrench' light, but if the light went off, then the computer has assumed that the situation is corrected.