IS DVD BETTER THAN BLU RAY?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It depends on your definition of "better".

If I have only DVDs to play and already have a DVD player, they there's no reason to spend more for a Blue Ray player. Advantage DVD.

If I have DVDs and Blue Ray discs to play, have no player at all, then Blue Ray player will be better - they are usually backward compatible to play DVDs. Advantage: Blue Ray.

If your "home theater" projector can only deal with standard definition video, then a DVD player may be more cost effective than a Blue Ray player... and it is possible the projector has only composite video connections - most Blue Ray players have only HDMI connection. Advantage DVD.

If your projection system is newer and can handle HDMI, then it should easily connect to the Blue Ray player - most DVD players have composite video connection and sometimes have component (RGB) connection. If the projection system has neither, then Advantage: Blue Ray.

There is lots more. We have no way to know what your environment can deal with and we don't know what your definition of "better" is...

• 4 months ago

It's easy to watch any video on DVD and it's easy to transfer DVDs

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

BluRay is definitely better, due to the HD aspect of it.

• 4 months ago

you have the formats swapped around wrong...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

definitley a marketing tactic in there somewhere but obviously  blu ray is better :)

• 4 months ago

I haven't noticed so much difference that it makes it worth my while to buy Blu-Ray discs instead of regular DVDs. It all depends on what monitor or TV you watch them on. Why pay extra? 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

No but usually more affordable, easier to find and compatible with more devices. 

DVD is however not as durable due to scratches (I have several hundred blurays

in my collection and to my knowledge, not one has skipped / paused during play).

• 4 months ago

Nope. 

It's the other way around. 

• 4 months ago

No, BluRays give 1080 resolution while DVD is around 480.

• 4 months ago

I don't see a difference personally. A film is a film for me. Blu ray is supposed to be in HD whilst DVD in SD. So, blu ray would be better quality supposedly. I think it's a scam.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.