Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 1 month ago

Which was better: The Original Law & Order OR Special Victims Unit?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

SVU last longer than the original. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Neither: The best Law & Order was Law & Order UK.

• 4 weeks ago

I liked them both, but lost any interest after they began showing 'political/statement' programs. Programs that covered the popular issues of the time. Not entertaining!

• 1 month ago

they both suck giant horse drawn carriage balls

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I prefered early seasons of the original Law and Order.  SVU always seemed too exploitational for my taste.  I know that some people like it because it takes sexual assault seriously and because it comes from a standpoint of believing victims unless there's a good reason not to (when real life cops often do the opposite), but it always struck me as being exploitational and often about titillation.   The first few seasons of the original Law and Order, especially the first season or two, were more grounded and often a fairly gritty take on crime, albeit one where the cops and prosecutors were always the good guys and always tried to do the right thing.

• Jim
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

The first 4 seasons on L&O are my favorite.  Michael Moriarity was so good, much better than Sam Waterston.

• 1 month ago

Both are very good but I prefer the original.

• 1 month ago

I always like the Original.  The wisecracking was wonderful ... how else would detectives who are immersed daily in the worst that humanity offers manage to retain their sanity?

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Special Victims Unit before Christopher Meloni left.

• Anonymous
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

LOVED Christopher

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The original law and order is all that is necessary.  The Special Victims Unit is designed to help in an emergency.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

On one hand, the original Law & Order hasn't held up. When you look at episodes from the early 90s, it's unbelievable how misogynist and racist it is despite its overreaching to stand against those things. On the other hand, Law & Order: SVU's tacit endorsement of police brutality and suborning police breaking the law to get their perp paired with that extremely sour dose of self-righteousness it never stops doling out makes it terribly hard to stomach.

So, "Which is better?" More like, "Which is worse?" It's a toss up.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.