Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can i sign my husbands name on his checks?

We havent had the time to get checks of our own due to coronavirus. Rent is due we gave it in but because rent got increased because we signed for 2 more years they asked for another $25 (that was our fault we thought the increase would of started in July).

Can I sign my husbands name since the checks we are using is under his name/account or does my husband have to sign it himself? If thats the case I cant bring the check until later tonight and they won’t see it until tomorrow

Thanks everyone. I wrote out the check but didn’t sign it. Going to have him sign it later on and send it in tonight. I’ll see if i can get checks online too with our joint account

• car253

You can always buy a money order from the post office.

• ron h

No. But TBH, it's a matter of what you can get away with.  A while back, I went for 2 or 3 years endorsing her paychecks to put in the bank.  

• Dimple

if you are on the same account you can. otherwise no.. that's forgery. 

Legally..ONLY if yo have Power of Attorney to do so. IF not..ITS FORGERY and you can go to prison for it.

If your name is not on the account then legally you can't sign his name..  That's called forgery and is a crime.  Just because you're married doesn't give you the right to sign his name.

Get a money order, use a credit/debit card, use your checking account, pay cash 

Obviously no, you cannot legally sign for your husband (this would be fraud)

• Judy

not legally without POA

If your husband is sole signatory on that account, husband must sign. You can ONLY sign on a joint account which stipulates either can sign, or your own account. Joint accounts can be set up to require BOTH signatures, & with such an account, both you & spouse as joint holders must sign. 

Have hubby do this:

"Write “Pay to the Order of” and the Third Party's Name Below Your Signature. It's important to write the name of the person that you are signing the check over to in the endorsement area under your signature. This signals to the bank that you are endorsing the transfer of ownership for the check."

In other words, your hubby is paying you that amount on the check, and then you can sign the same check in you name to pay off the rent fee.  If this is confusing look it up on the web for the details and calification.