Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

State tax return came-- but federal didn't?

I received my state tax return about a month ago. My federal tax return has not come yet. Is this normal? Usually, I receive them within a week of each other, so I'm getting a little worried that it hasn't shown up yet. 

Nothing showing up when I go to track it on the IRS site. 

There is ZERO connection between the IRS and your state income tax agency. A time gap between receiving any REFUND (the return is what you file) from on or the other i neither normal OR abnormal. If you mailed a paper return, the IRS may not have caught up opening their mail yet. If you filed electronically, and that much didn't show up within a week, something is wrong.

Do you mean you are due an income tax REFUND? IRS is extremely overloaded at the moment with the stimulus checks (processed as tax refund), plus the usual income tax processing & refunding procedures. A slowdown in processing all this should be no surprise at all.

• STEVEN F

The  IRS is NOT processing the Economic Impact statements. They merely provided a data dump to the Treasury department office that processes ALL payments from the Federal government.

• Scott

You don't receive a tax return. A tax return is the document you file to the IRS or state. If you get money back from taxes it's a tax REFUND.

The two are unrelated, sol one coming does not indicate the status of the other.

Do you want us to worry with you?

Stuff is a justa little different this year, don't ya think??????????