Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

What diagnose does my cousin have?

Ok, so My cousin David is special ed, he is 20 y/o but he acts like a 10 y/o child and really slow at things, I don't think he has autism cause my aunt and uncle didn't say anything like that. I just don't know what kind of special ed diagnose he has. I hope that doesn't sound offensive.

The only one who can make a diagnosis is a doctor. YOU can't, and neither can anyone on here.

You haven't provided enough information for anyone to even guess.  "Being slow" and acting immature can be the result of a variety of  factors, and it's not enough info to diagnose any condition.  

Why don't  you simply ask your aunt? 

Only a doctor can give a diagnosis

Could be intellectually disabled or brain injured from what you describe.

If you want to know what diagnosis (or perhaps diagnoses if your cousin has more than one diagnosis) your cousin has, why don't you ask him directly? If he doesn't know and gives you permission to ask his parents, or if he knows but prefers that you ask his parents (or other close relative or friend), why don't you ask them?

Well, I am 20 years old, a university student, and am diagnosed with autism (with language delay as a young child). My IQ is found to be in the normal range. I won't say I'm not slow at certain things (but that is just me personally, not every person who's diagnosed with autism) but I don't think being "really slow at things" (I don't know what you mean by "things" and slow in what way) or "acting like a 10 year old child" (again, I don't know what you mean - do you mean socially, intellectually, or in other ways) on its own indicates a diagnosis of autism since it's not part of the diagnostic criteria unless you mean abnormal social approach. I am not an expert but it is my impression that being extremely slow at certain things can be because of a specific learning disability, an intellectual disability, other conditions, if you mean physical or motor tasks maybe by physical disabilities or dyspraxia. I assume you mean more cognitive instead than physical tasks but I don't think this question is specific enough for anyone to make an educated guess. Even then it would only be an educated guess at most so may not be accurate.

If you want to know for sure, you should ask your cousin (unless he doesn't have the communication skill to tell you but from your description seems like he probably does), or if he doesn't know suggest to him that he ask his parents, and ask him again to tell you (only if he's comfortable telling you, you can tell him that he doesn't have to tell you if he doesn't want to).

It's only offensive because it's none of your business. If your family wants to share his diagnosis with you, they will. If they don't, so what? You still treat him as you would any other family member, with love and kindness.

That is not nearly enough information to make a diagnosis (or even suggest one). Generally speaking he has some sort of developmental disability, more specifically though, that's not your job nor ours.