Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Do you really have to wait a day before opening packages?

I live in Texas and my parents are extremely paranoid about this coronavirus outbreak. They refuse to let me open mail and packages the day they are delivered, insisting to wait a day before opening anything. I haven't been allowed outside in months, and the few times I have been allowed outside, they demand I wear a face mask even if it's just walking. I'm home for college and this is driving me crazy. Is this normal? Do you really have to do things like this?

If you want to be 100 percent certain then yes. 

• Mr. P

They probably seem paranoid because it is more likely to kill them than you.

Tests have proven virus stays active on cardboard for 24hrs and plastic for 3 days. Is your post really worth dying for? I leave mine in separate boxes for 4 days.One box per day on a rotation.

Groceries get left boxed for a week unless they need refrigeration in which case they are disinfected by hand, dried then refrigerated. 

2M is social distancing required in most countries. Where this is not possible a mask should be worn. I also wear gloves because constant hand washing is drying my skin.

I do not wear a mask while outside on my own property, but I do if going further.

Virus is spread in the droplets from your breath - Breathe on a window and you will see them - it's those droplets you need a mask for. Talking to people outdoors is safer than anywhere indoors.

Wearing masks is effective in reducing these droplets becoming airborne, but not so effective at preventing you from being infected. So I would like to see everyone wearing masks-  to prevent me getting it. In turn I also will be wearing one. 

Best chance of survival is to stay home and reduce contact with others- which is what they are asking you to do.

• Edna

You live in Texas and so do I. You need to tell your parents (and your parents need to realize) that almost all coronavirus restrictions and recommendations were lifted in Texas between May 1 and May 22.

Beaches and public parks are open and are packed with people; in-house dining is permitted; bars are open; beauty shops are open; social gatherings and public assembly are permitted; face masks are not required in any business establishment or outside and almost no one still wears one; and every day I see kids on my street riding their bicycles or walking down the street with a group of their friends.

We haven't had any increase in cases of corona virus since the restrictions were lifted, than we did in the days when they were still in effect. In fact, we've had fewer. There is absolutely no reason why you (or your parents) should have to be afraid and stay shut up in the house for months and never go outside.

Your parents waiting a day before opening a package that is delivered amounts to the same thing as them waiting a day to put your groceries that they get at a grocery store into the refrigerator. I'm sure your parents don't  wait a day to do that.  

As far you having to wear a face mask when you go outside:  Tell your parents that it's been proved that wearing a mask will NOT prevent you from contracting a contagious illness or spreading it to others around you. A corona virus is not an airborne illness. 

Spray them with LYSOL!!  you don't have to wait. It's been pretty much proven that the virus isn't being spread through mail and packages. 

• Diane A

You don’t have to spray them either. 

You're asking different questions:

1. If you live with your parents, yes, you need to follow whatever rules they have for the home.  If you want to get a job and pay your own rent somewhere else, feel free.

2. The original guideline was to either wait 3 days or wipe off any packaging with a disinfectant wipe. The assumption was that the virus can live on surfaces for several days.  There is some data that suggests that isn't necessarily the case and it is probably safe to open and discard packages without the wait time. That said, nothing you get in the mail can't wait a day.  Chill. 

3. Most states and cities are asking everyone people to wear a mask in indoor public spaces. This is to minimize your exposure to others and other people being exposed to you. There doesn't seem to be a lot of places that require people to wear a mask to go for a walk or hike or bike ride.

4. Most states, counties, and cities has started to relax the original stay-at-home orders. People with some conditions including asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes are at increased risk of serious complications and may want to take more precautions.

Stop acting like a pre-schooler.  If your smart enough to go to college, you are smart enough to look up information and your state and local guidelines and have a calm, rational, science-based conversation with your parents about what is appropriate for you and your family.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/opentexas...

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/EO-GA-26...

yes it is normal---protect your parents and do what they say.

Not very good at trolling are you.

• Well, in my area (which isn't Texas) masks should be worn in case social distancing can't take place. 

I also remembered a few week ago when health officials in my area, recommended keeping groceries or or on line purchases in your garage for 3 days before you use them. If your parents are seniors or elderly, then they should be concerned about getting it as covid 19 can be extremely damaging to their health or it could even kill them. 

They're trying to protect you from getting it. If you're going out to a place where social distancing is a challenge or if they ask you to wear a mask, you should wear one. 

• Alexa

Wearing a mask while walking outside is normal, you want to have one on just in case someone comes near you. Spit from their mouth can land on you when they're talking. But you don't need to wear one when alone.

However, they're doing the package thing all wrong. Waiting a day before opening packages is a myth. The virus can last a week or more on these surfaces, so it makes no difference to wait one day and is quite silly. The best thing you can do (and what I do) is to wipe all outer surfaces of the package with a clorox wipe while it's still outside, then bring it in and set it somewhere for a few minutes to give the bacteria time to die. Be sure to wash your hands right away and don't touch your face. After this, you're free to open the package and wipe the contents inside if you wish.

I live with a retired military medic who was trained to handle outbreak control. Those were his instructions, and I have cross-checked them with others in the medical industry who are using these practices. When shopping, we wipe down every item before bringing it in. We wipe car/outside doors when using them. We wipe the shopping carts when using them. We have a separate pair of outside shoes to disinfect. We take all our clothes off (in the garage) before coming in and take a shower right away. Most outside tasks now take an extra hour just because of disinfection. It seems "crazy", but it's necessary, germs don't care if I'm giving infection control 95% effort. I can still get it from shrugging off the other 5%. The things you have to do to make a difference in staying safe are far more than your parents are probably doing, so if they continue insisting certain practices, remind them that when it comes to infection control, they need to do ALL of it if they want to insist that it's important.

• Marc

No. It is not normal. I have not changes a single thing since the outbreak and i am fine and so is everyone i know.  Tell your parents to turn off the news