I did not file with the IRS in 2018. Do I still get a stimulus check?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

hahahahahahahahahaha fail

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

If you didn't also file in 2019, don't receive SS or railroad retiree benefits, or didn't file a 'non-filer' claim online with the IRS (the deadline has passed), you will get the stimulus money in 2021 as part of your 2020 refund, in the form of the Economic Impact Tax Credit, when you file your 2020 return.

We did not file either year. My wife receives SS and got her stimulus direct deposited. I will get my portion next year.

• 1 month ago

You must have filed either 2018 or 2019, or get social security or railroad benefits to get the stimulas..  There are certain non filers who can get it, but that web site is now closed.

• 1 month ago

There was an online tool on the IRS website where you could have registered for a stimulus check - but that registration process is closed.

If you qualify for a stimulus check but you don't get one you will be able to claim a $1200 credit on your 2020 tax return. Its fully refundable so if you owe no tax the IRS will send you the $1200 as a tax refund. If you wouldn't normally file a 2020 tax return because you don't have enough taxable income then you'll have to file a return just to claim the stimulus.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Maybe.  If you file for 2019 or you received social security or railroad retirement benefits, or provided your info online to the IRS on the non-filers page, yes.  If you did none of these things, no.

• 1 month ago

IF you also did not file in 2019, no.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you meet all of the qualifications and you either filed your 2019 return electronically before May 13 or submitted the form for non-filers or if you will file for 2020, then you should eventually get a stimulus payment. 

If you haven't gotten it by direct deposit already, then you're probably waiting for a physical check. Those are still being printed and mailed out.

It's also possible that there was an error, such as sending a check to an old address. Use the tool on irs.gov to find out the status of your payment.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

not filing does not disqualify you if you meet the requirements, but if th IRS dosn't know you exist, it won't be automatic.

• 1 month ago

If you are a non filer go to The IRS’ web site and follow the instructions on how to get a stimulus check.  

IRS.GOV

• 1 month ago

It appears not, at least not until you get off you butt and file.

• Mr. Corona
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

He may have not had to file.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.