How efficient is a the fan of a space heater?

My mom stole my fam out my room because it’s a space heater/fan. She cannot comprehend it’s just a fan when the heater is off. Please someone in the most elementary way. Explain to her that it’s not wasting energy when the coils are off. Please and thank you 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Put her hand in front of it and put onto fan.   Now put it onto heat.  She will feel the difference.  No words required.

It is not a great fan either. Low efficiency.  I got both units instead.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Many people select to apply space warmers as a supplemental heat source throughout the cooler months of the year. Space heaters are typically portable, small home equipment that may create heat in a selected direction or region. Using a space heater similarly to your house furnace let you keep power (and as a end result, save money) over the direction of the season, as established in this article with the aid of Energy Star. Our goal is to check the first-rate, maximum electricity green area warmers in the marketplace nowadays.

How Do Space Heaters Work?

Space warmers are warmers that are supposed to offer warmness to a particular room or place within your house. Most space warmers electric and may be plugged into a trendy wall outlet, which makes them an clean and popular choice. These electric models use Joule heating, meaning that they invent an electrical modern-day that runs over a conductor to provide heat. Then a fan will push the warmth out into the room to assist maintain a consistent warm feeling.

There also are fuel space warmers available, and they run on one in all 3 combustible fuels: propane, natural fuel and kerosene. If you're concerned approximately having a warmth supply while the strength goes out, a gasoline-powered space heater could be a wonderful choice for you as they do no longer require strength so that it will characteristic. These warmers was once lots more protection than they're these days because they had to have a complete-vent to the outside to cast off carbon monoxide.

Today, way to science and technology, we've got ventless fuel warmers which have eliminated the air trade and may be used properly inside homes. It ought to be stated, however, that this new sort of space heater is currently unlawful in several jurisdictions, consisting of the entire country of California. Check your nearby policies earlier than shopping.

Today within the United States, many home equipment come with what's referred to as an Energy Star rating, and this is a calculation of exactly how power efficient the equipment is, as well as the average fee to run the appliance. With space heaters you won’t locate an Energy Star rating, and this is normally because there are loads of different elements to be able to pass into precisely how electricity efficient the product is.

This includes whether you're the use of the gap heater by means of itself or with supplemental heating, the place of the room, and more (which we will talk under). The lack of an Energy Star rating does not imply that area warmers aren’t efficient even though, it simply takes a bit extra paintings to observed out which products are more green than others.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In fan mode it will only require the power to drive the motor and not the electric elements. I can tell you that this is not designed to be used as a fan only. It will provide low air pressure due to the heat elements blocking the air flow.

Source(s): Professional air conditioner hole
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Buy a real fan.  A space heater is NOT designed to be used as a fan.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Many heaters have three settings: High, Low, and Fan.

In Fan, the heater element isn't powered at all.  In the Fan setting, the fan motor is the only part of the device consuming any electricity, probably not more than about ten watts.  Those little heater fans aren't very powerful.

Meanwhile, Mark, you could avoid some unnecessary stress in your home just by spending $15 of your own money and getting a cheap 12" fan.  It'll be way more effective as a fan than the one in your heater, and Mom can't mistake it for a heater in any case.

And if Mom is fussing at you about leaving the fan on when you're out, she's not wrong.  Don't leave it running when you're not in there.  Fans don't cool the air, they only move air around.  Moving air cools YOU, but doesn't make the room cooler at all.  So when you're not there, a running fan is a waste of electricity.  Not much, but a waste nonetheless.

• Mark1 month agoReport

I talk to so many people who are confused by the concept that regular desk fans don't cool air. I tell them if you want cold air buy an ac unit

• 1 month ago

As everyone is trying to explain, when in fan mode it uses the same amount of energy as any fan. In heat mode it will be using a lot more. Try asking mom to put her hand in front of it to confirm it's doing no heating. Would she accept an ordinary fan? If so, go and get one, they're very cheap. 

Or is it the fact that you're using a fan when she doesn't think it's necessary?

• 1 month ago

I can't say if it is wasting energy but it is using some. Just a lot less that it is when the heating coil is on. 

• 1 month ago

You're correct.  If you have it on fan mode, then you're just using the energy of a regular fan.  Is it worth arguing with her about though?  You can get a regular fan for 10 bucks.  If that settles the issue it's 10 bucks well spent.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Steal it back again.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.