Jim2
Jim2 asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Why do so many on here seem to distrust the police? Have they been falsely arrested?

A number of police officials have condemned the George Floyd kiling. That cop was just a bad apple.

• John W

Perhaps you have heard that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Anyway the problem is that it is nearly impossible to get rid of a cop that is not doing their job properly. As an example Chavin was a cop less than a year and had 10 police brutality charges filed against him. Yet he could not be fired until he committed murder. Most employees who had that kind of work history would have been fired long ago, but the police unions protect the bad cops.

I distrust everyone. I distrust the police less than I do the criminals. 

Criminals are a larger problem by far than than the police. For law abiding citizens without a long criminal record who are not committing a crime then resisting when they get caught, that is. 

Prove that factually incorrect. 

• audrey

Good question. I'm 73 and never have I had a reason to distrust or dislike the police.

If a store sells bad apples people complain. If the complaint is ignored people get angry. If the anger is ignored people sue. Yet the store continues selling bad apples, nothing changes and people are just expected to force them down with a smile and a "thanks for your service".

What was your point again?

if there is an easily acquired occupation in place that allows people to be violent without consequence, then power hungry and violent people are going to gravitate towards that. it requires more training to become a hairstylist than a police officer, and the majority of US states neglect any training for de-escalation tactics so that unnecessary shootings won't happen. this is why corrupt cops get these positions that SHOULD be reserved for responsible peace-keepers. 

Eating oranges from now on !

It happening over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over isn't a bad apple. It's systematized racism. Your attempt to dissociate and marginalize what is endemic and systematized is nothing but a cop cop-out.

UPDATE:

One, I didn't say anything about hating the police. Two, if you don't see racism, then it's only because you're shutting your eyes. Three, what's this "maybe" nonsense? Don't pretend there's not racism in small towns. Don't pretend you aren't fully aware of racism everywhere and aware of systematized racism everywhere, not when you can see millions and millions of people attesting to it in cities throughout the US and when every single African-American you will ever speak to will in no uncertain terms testify to that racism and can recount numerous personal experiences of having been on the receiving end of it. I defy you to even find one African-American who will tell you otherwise. But then I suppose you think they are all lying, as if you can't and haven't actually seen it happen with your own two eyes.

• Jim2

OK. I live in a relatively small town. I just don't see any reason to hate the police, nor do I see racism. Maybe it is different where you live.