Does anyone else find it strange how a lot of court judges were former members of the law society?

Isn't that like the godfather ruling over a drug trial in case someone is going up against the lawyers just in case you happened to give some legal advice and not a practicing lawyer? I mean aren't facts simply just facts no matter who is saying it?

Update:

Also if district attorneys choose which cases get filed then wouldn't that make the court system a marketplace and not an actual justice system? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What is the law society?  Do you mean the Bar?

I'd be interested in your opinion on who should be Judges and who should not.  You've already said that you don't think people with legal experience should interpret the law/be a Judge.

Of course, you also think Will Smith is married to Jetta Smith.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Same as last time you asked.  I'm not repeating myself.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In theory that's what a jury is for but they are really just cheap tools anyway. But that's a different argument.

I'll present a counter analogy; say you want to buy a good workin' truck. Wouldn't you want to ask a diesel mechanic friend to come to the lot with you? Sure facts are facts, that truck is a jump-gear 10 head with an All-Tru actuator and a Smith style electrics. Do either of us have any idea what that means? Is it good or bad that it has XYZ?

A judge having had a long career as a lawyer is good and would be the only possible career path because they would have to know the legal system in and out. If any random schmoe could get hired as a judge, by the time he had any clue what was going on he might as well have gone to law school and been a lawyer for 10 years anyway. It's not like learning the POS system in a used clothing store.

• 1 month ago

It is logical and not strange at all that judges have an academic background of studying the law. They make decisions based on the letter of the law ONLY so they must be experts in that regard. Many areas have requirements that one must be an working attorney for a certain number of years before being considered as a judge.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Nothing strange about it at all. People in the field of law associate with one another to network and keep up with the profession.

District attorneys make their decisions about which cases to prosecute based on the facts presented to them. They are not paid a penny more or less to make these decisions, so it is nothing like a marketplace.

• 1 month ago

You find it strange that a judge would be someone who has experience and knowledge of the law?

• Rick1 month agoReport

The association. 

• 1 month ago

I would be shocked if they had not been.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.