Are people who accept secular morality superior than theists who accept "god commanded" morals?

Asked differently - 

are people who figure out for themselves what is actually moral and act on that 

better people than those who are ordered to act a certain way under threat of eternal torture?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No, not necessarily.

God can work with self-interest, but he would rather that we operate out of love for him and his human children.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Nous
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The mass murderers and virtually all the serial rapists claim god told them to do it all!

Research shows that the reason humans struggle with emotion to find equitable solutions is pinpointed the region of the brain called the insular cortex, or insula, which is also the seat of emotional reactions.

The fact that the brain has such a robust response to unfairness shows that sensing unfairness is a basic evolved capacity.

The emotional response to unfairness pushes people from extreme inequity and drives them to be fair. This observation shows our basic impulse to be fair isn't a complicated thing that we learn.

It therefore fully illustrates that all humans have morals controlled by the brain and that Christians are entirely wrong to try and claim morals as their own!!!!

But Christians found a way round it!

Do the crime and then repent and get a clean start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Government statistics show that Christians are vastly over represented in prisons for sexual, violent and fraudulent crime whilst year on year government figures show atheists make up only 2% of the prison population!

The Catholic Church is paying millions in compensation for the sex/paedophile crimes of their priests alone!

Christians are vastly over represented in the divorce courts!

Christians invented the concept of sin and then the idea that you could sin, ask forgiveness, get pardoned and start with a clean sheet!

So no surprise that they are so expert at it is it‽

A Christian is a man that feels repentance on Sunday for what he did on Saturday and is going to do on Monday. - Thomas Russell Ybarra

Source(s): California Institute of Technology
  • User
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The correct answer

(I would think it obvious)

is: "Not necessarily."

• Tim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

So your morals say that some are superior to others?  Mine tell me that all men are created equal and have God given rights.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jea
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Those "god commanded morals" are just from men too.

Society tells us what is "moral" and what is not.

Decided by men, for men, and enforced by men.

Never was a god involved in that.

• 1 month ago

They're the same!

If one is (((DOING))) God's commandments without "His Spirit dwelling inside you" (Romans 8:9) that you didn't receive after Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5;8) Who (((CAUSES))) you to keep His commandments (Ezekiel 36:27):

They're the same!

"It is GOD working in us" (Philippians 2:13) "Teaching us godliness" (Titus 2:12) after Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5;8) when we "join to His Spirit" (I Corinthians 6:17).  After all "He is the Potter and we're only the clay" (Isaiah 64:8)!

Unfortunately, today's Christians have taken over His job water baptizing themselves (John 1:33) from which "the Spirit of Christ doesn't dwell in them" (Romans 8:9).  Therefore "the clay" is forming himself and  has taken over "the Potter's" job!

As they "FORGET GOD" (Psalm 9:17) SAID "I'm the Potter and you're only the clay" (Isaiah 64:8).

Have you ever seen "the clay" jump up from the table and form itself?

What is wrong with today's Christians?

"God is a jealous God" (Exodus 20:5) and you will PAY (Revelation 21:8)!

• Jerome
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Evolutionists versus creationists

Or as I say "ultraMAN versus GODzilla"

I AM with MAN al-ways........my huMANity in me is too strong.

For 👁 know MAN "created" gods not gods "created" man.

So these creationists are backwards. And clone everyone else to be backwards. Live backwards is EVIL. Over time lies do become true....."truelies".........😎

From wikipedia:

Many people view controversies such as the present debate between creationists and evolutionists as conflicts between religion and science. The idea of an inevitable discord between the two has been around for some time and is held by many in scientific circles. This conception is exemplified by the classic, two-volume work A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom (White, 1896). This is still considered by many as a classic authority on the subject, but the book's extreme viewpoint has been criticized as simplistic by several scholars (Lindberg, 1983). The overall thesis is based upon a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of religion by both scientists and theologians and, certainly, by the lay public as well. The way these two terms are properly defined, science and religion appear to be entirely separate realms of human behavior with no potential for conflict. Understanding the nature of these perceived disagreements and the reasons why the supporters of pseudoscientific theories are so fervent in their beliefs requires a knowledge of the structure of religious systems and the symbolic nature of many aspects of religious beliefs.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. One's religion (or lack of) does not on its own automatically make you superior to another religion. Its a single aspect of someone's character.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you are correct. The only thing keeping believers from raping and killing is their fear of god's punishment. 

• 1 month ago

i would say NO, but i do know that at least one atheist thinks his morality is superior to the God of the bible. to which i think he is utterly wrong. morality comes from the law giver and the creator. if we do not obey his commandments and live by every word that comes from the mouth of God, our eternal life is at stake. if we can divide the words of God from the teachings of men, we can learn to be more pure in our ethics and morality above what any atheist will preach, and preach incorrectly.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.