Boy
Lv 4

Would this damage my transmission?

Whenever I am in the drive through at McDonald’s there is usually a long line, stop and go stop and go stop and go.

Whenever I stop, I turn my d to p on my transmission joystick. I have an automatic transmission btw and a Toyota Corolla se.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

joystick - shifter

No.

It won't damage the transmission quickly.

It is a tiny bit of wear on the friction disks.

And it may wear out the shifter sooner than later.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are an idiot to even have to ask. You start your car in park don't you? You put it back in park with the engine still running when you're done driving it, don't you? Does either one damage it? The answer is NO. 

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No it would not 

• 1 month ago

If the line is long and you will be sitting for a long time then I would advise you to shift to Park or Neutral. This will prevent the transmission from overheating. You are not moving and there is no air flowing over the transmission cooler so it can overheat if in drive for a long time. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

What you're doing is unnecessary, just leave it in drive and let the brakes hold it still.  Every time you shift into drive there is a tiny amount of wear on the transmission, which you may notice as a jolt, it's not a lot but it will add up eventually. 

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, but it's really not necessary to shift into park. Just keep your foot on the brake pedal.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.